Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, August 22, 2022

Various Artists - Love Plus One: '80s Love Songs (2000)

Like I'm going to pass up a Rhino '80s compilation that not only includes a Haircut 100 track, the dang compilation is named after that track. As. If.

Released in 2000, this compilation is part of Rhino's Heart Beats series. From the CD's back cover:
It was the decade of skinny ties, asymmetrical haircuts, and lacy fingerless gloves. But while the fashions of the '80s have faded into history, the music endures in our hearts. Set the mood with the most romantic songs from the artists you love.
The songs are all from the '80s (including an '80s cover of '60s tune - I'll allow it), but to call them love songs is a bit of a stretch. There's plenty of songs about breaking up, cheating, and stalking to be found, however. I always say I'm not much for lyrics, but these songs are so familiar to me musically, I'll focus on the words this time through. Just for fun, I'll try to find the most romantic lyric (MRL) for each song, but I wouldn't recommend following Rhino's suggestion to use these cuts to "set the mood."

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:
  1. Time (Clock Of The Heart) - Culture Club (1983, #2 pop, #6 AC)
    And we kick things off with a break-up song.
    MRL: "This could be the best place yet"
    Previously on blog: 1
  2. Love Plus One - Haircut 100 (1982, #37 pop, #18 rock)
    This is my favorite tune on the disc, but even I will readily admit that the lyrics are complete nonsense.
    MRL? Hell, here's the whole shebang, you figure it out:
    I went off to the right, without saying good, goodbye.
    Where does it go from here, is it down to the lake I fear.
    Ah ya ya ya ya ya. Ah ya ya ya ya ya ya ya.

    (and I call) Ring, ring, ring, ring. La-la-love plus one.
    Ring, ring, ring, ring. When I call love.

    Give love some soul if I may be quite so bold.
    Where does it go from here, is it down to the lake I fear.
    Ah ya ya ya ya ya. Ah ya ya ya ya ya ya ya.

    Ring and a'ring and a'ring and a'ring and a'
    La-la-love plus one
    Egads. Catchy tune, though. And if you're keeping score, we're given the single edit on this CD.
    Previously on blog: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
  3. Human - Human League (1986, #1 pop, #3 AC)
    Music to cheat by, for him and her.
    MRL: N/A
    Previously on blog: 1, 2
  4. Like To Get To Know You Well - Howard Jones (1985, #40 pop)
    I gotta hand it to HoJo, that's a helluva pickup line.
    MRL: "Like to get to know you well so we can be one together"
    Previously on blog: 1
  5. Suddenly Last Summer - The Motels (1983, #9 pop, #18 AC, #1 rock)
    Ah, summer loves - I had my fair share in my teens. White hot, then gone.
    MRL: "Forever I loved you."
    Previously on blog: 1, 2
  6. Crazy - Icehouse (1988, #14 pop, #10 rock)
    Another song I can easily relate to. When you find a woman who is way out of your league and somehow she wants to be with you, it's easy to assume that's she's lost her mind. I've been married for 33 years now and I'm grateful my wife has never figured out she could have done better.
    MRL: "I'm a lucky guy without a reason and I don't understand. Well, you've gotta be crazy, baby, to want a guy like me"
    I can't believe it, but it's true: today's post marks the first appearance of Icehouse on the blog.
  7. Tempted - Squeeze (1981, #40 pop, #8 rock)
    In which another relationship bites the dust due to infidelities.
    MRL: N/A
    Previously on blog: 1, 2, 3
  8. The Tide Is High - Blondie (1981, #1 pop, #3 AC)
    He's just not into you, honey, so just leave him alone already or it'll be restraining order time. Counterpoint: who wasn't into Deborah Harry in 1980??
    MRL: "it's the way you do the things you do to me"
    Previously on blog: 1, 2, 3
  9. I Melt With You - Modern English (1983, #78 pop, #7 rock)
    Not only a catchy tune, but the title is a great sentiment and it's something I can't believe I never said in a weak effort to woo members of the dance team when I was in high school.
    MRL: "I'll stop the world and melt with you"
    Previously on blog: 1, 2, 3
  10. Space Age Love Song - A Flock Of Seagulls (1983, #30 pop, #59 rock)
    I don't know what's "space age" about it, but it is certainly a love song.
    MRL: "I saw your eyes and you made me smile. For a little while I was falling in love."
    Previously on blog: 1
  11. Tenderness - General Public (1985, #27 pop, #39 rock)
    No tenderness? If this relationship isn't doomed, I'll eat my hat.
    MRL: N/A
    Previously on blog: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  12. Right By Your Side - Eurythmics (1984, #29 pop, #38 AC)
    I like the overall theme here: I don't need you to do anything but be present for me.
    MRL: "Every single day can drag us down, but there's nothing left to fear when love gets into town"
  13. Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins (1984, #3 pop, #8 AC, #9 rock)
    Ever have to endure one of those all night talks about your relationship with your significant other? And maybe you've done something wrong but probably not? And all you want to do is hold him/her and catch some sleep? Well, this song captures that special sort of torture in a beautiful way.
    MRL: "there's nowhere that I'd rather be than with you here today"
    Previously on blog: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
  14. Hang On Now - Kajagoogoo (1983, #78 pop)
    This guy's getting dumped, begging for it not to end, and to start anew.
    MRL: couldn't find any; there's no compelling argument to be found here. It's over, Limahl.
  15. I Got You - Split Enz (1980, #53 pop)
    Someone is worried that their partner is being unfaithful. Today, this person would stalk their partner using tracking/spying phone apps. Doesn't sound very healthy.
    MRL: "You're everything that I've imagined"
    Previously on blog: 1, 2
  16. True - Spandau Ballet (1983, #4 pop, #1 AC, #34 rock)
    Sure sounds like a love song, but the lyrics really aren't clear. Just what, exactly, is true? What is truth? What is belief? Is there a difference between historical truth and narrative truth? But I digress.
    MRL: "Head over heels when toe to toe"
    Previously on blog: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, but I did pick up three tracks that were new to my collection: 6, 12, & 14.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Now & Forever: Timeless Wedding Songs (1999)

No comments:

Post a Comment