Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Spandau Ballet - The Singles Collection (1985)


"COLLECTION" WEEK (JUNE 4-10, 2012)

A white boy-funk band that morphed into poster boys for the New Romantic movement. According to Andy Taylor's autobiography, there was quite a rivalry between Duran Duran, which was anchored at Birmingham's Rum Runner Club, and Spandau Ballet, which normally played at the Blitz Club in London. The band was almost too smooth and too good-looking. In their homeland, they were one of the most successful bands of the 1980s, achieving ten Top Ten singles and four Top Ten albums in the UK between 1980 and 1990. The band split acrimoniously in 1990, but reunited in 2009 (yeah, I missed that press release, too). Unlike Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet were much bigger in the UK than in the US. Because of the band's name and their ubiquitous lightweight hit, True, the band has become a pop culture punchline.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:
Singles ChartYearUKUS
 Gold1983229
 Lifeline19827
 Round And Round198419
 Only When You Leave1984334
 Instinction198210
 Highly Strung198415
 True198314
 Communication19831259
 I'll Fly For You19849
 To Cut A Long Story Short19805
 Chant No. 119813
 She Loved Like Diamond198149
 Paint Me Down198130
 The Freeze198117
 Musclebound198110

The songs are presented roughly in a reverse chronological order, which is something I haven't seen much. I guess Chrysalis wanted to put the band's bigger hits up front. I owned two Spandau Ballet LP's, True (1983) and Parade (1984), so I like the songs from those albums: Gold, Lifeline, Round And Round, True, I'll Fly for You, and the song that got me hooked on the band in the first place, Communication. I've really got no need for the other tracks; this is the first time I've listened to the band's early tracks in many, many years.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I'm sure he'd rather forget that he ever owned a Spandau Ballet album, but this is yet another band which I was introduced to by my friend Jim who let me borrow his LP of True when we were in high school. I also remember the Parade LP getting a lot of playing time in my freshman dorm room in the fall of '84.

No comments:

Post a Comment