Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Howard Jones - Dream Into Action (1985)


Note: this release was originally purchased as an LP, later replaced by a CD.

Was prompted to listen to this CD after hearing a great podcast interview with Howard Jones. I listened to this CD often when it came out. At age 19, my life was great in 1985, so when you hear Things Can Only Get Better, you think "Wow! How can that be?!? I can't wait!" Plus, I'm a big fan of the Eurotrash synth-pop, so this release is right in my wheelhouse. I'm not a fan that the CD release doesn't replicate the track sequence of the LP. Am I being too picky?

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #10 (June 29, 1985)
Peak on Billboard's R&B albums chart: #65 
Peak on Cash Box album chart: #11

Tracks: Of the hits, my fav is No One is to Blame. Other tracks that I like are Look Mama, Assault and Battery (admittedly not the cheeriest HoJo song) and Like to Get to Know You Well. Not a fan of Automaton or the horrid Bounce Right Back. My guilty pleasure is Is There a Difference? which is just cheesy '80s pop filler, but I'll sing right along with it.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This takes me back to my dorm room in Berry Hall. My sophomore year in college, I somehow got my parents to agree to paying the extra money to get me a private room. I also remember one of the songs of this release (Assault and Battery, maybe?) being on my favorite TV show of the time: Miami Vice.

No comments:

Post a Comment