Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Human League - Greatest Hits (1988)


GREATEST HITS WEEK (JANUARY 17-23, 2011)

The League is a hit-or-miss band. Their good stuff is really good techno-pop dance music, but their bad stuff sounds like a junior high kid playing a Casio keyboard bought for 50 cents at a garage sale. But since I like the good stuff, this is a welcome listen for me. I had 3 or 4 of the group's albums in the '80s, but didn't think any of them except Dare! were worth replacing with a CD, so this compilation gives me some of my favorite HL tracks, including...

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: To be honest, (Keep Feeling) Fascination is one of my favorite songs not only of this CD, but of the entire decade. I also like the tracks Louise, Love Action, Open Your Heart, and The Lebanon. I understand the band's need to become relevant again in the later '80s and I can understand why they would choose to work with the hot production songwriting team at the time in Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, but their 1986 single Human doesn't even sound like them (add Love Is All that Matters to that list, too). If I wanted to hear that music, I'd buy something from Janet Jackson. It's not necessarily bad music, it's just not the Human League to me.

SongUSUK
Mirror Man302
(Keep Feeling) Fascination8 2
The Sound Of The Crowd-12
The Lebanon64 11
Human18
Don't You Want Me1 1
Being Boiled-6
Love Action (I Believe In Love)- 3
Louise-13
Open Your Heart- 6
Love Is All That Matters-41
Life On Your Own- 16

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: When the group's hit Don't You Want Me became a huge hit, there was nothing else like it playing on the radio. Looking back, I can't believe there was a radio station in Houston that would play it. In any case, that one song turned my interest from groups like Journey, Styx, and Foreigner to techno-pop/New Wave/New Romantic bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment