Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, December 13, 2020

Various Artists - On The Charts: I.R.S. Records 1979-1994 (1994)


The title is somewhat misleading but I guess "On And Off The Charts: One Track Each From The More Popular Artists And Their Spin-Off Groups on I.R.S. Records 1981-1992" is a little long and arguably pedantic. And don't get me started on the unimaginative cover art. But once I'm able to quit being petty about such things and listen to the tunes, this compilation ain't bad at all. The selections perfectly illustrate what a great label I.R.S. was for up and coming rockers in the '80s, moving from post-punk to new wave to pop to alt rock.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:
SongArtistYearHot 100Rock
Our Lips Are SealedGo-Go's19812015
Mexican Radio (edit)Wall Of Voodoo19825841
Only A LadOingo Boingo1981--
The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear ShadesTimbuk 319861914
Save It For LaterThe English Beat1982--
She Drives Me CrazyFine Young Cannibals19881-
Mad About You (single mix)Belinda Carlisle19863-
TendernessGeneral Public19842739
The One I LoveR.E.M.198792
JoeyConcrete Blonde19901920
Rain In The Summertime (edit)The Alarm1987716
Dizz Knee Landdada199210227

The highlights for me are the tracks from the Go-Go's and English Beat. I was previously unfamiliar with the tune by The Alarm and am happy to have finally discovered it here - very Joshua Tree-ish to these ears. I've never liked the Concrete Blonde tune and had forgotten all about the dada track. While I'm being petty, I would have picked a different REM tune (probably Radio Free Europe) but since The One I Love was the group's only Top 40 hit on the IRS label, I understand its inclusion here.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: When I was in high school, I thought that silver label with the iconic maroon logo was the coolest LP label graphic going.


No comments:

Post a Comment