Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, December 14, 2020

Bebel Gilberto - Agora (2020)


This album, Gilberto's first in six years, finds her working with producer Thomas Bartlett (Doveman) and, for the most part, it's a good collaboration. Once you get past the first track (ironically titled Tão Bom, which I'll kindly label 'experimental'), we're treated to typical Bebel Gilberto. That is to say, wonderful, relaxing, downtempo music with a Brazilian bent.

Metacritic has it rated at an 80 and this is one of those rare times where I am in complete agreement with that meta-analysis.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: The album hits its stride on the subtle third track, Cliché. My other preferred tracks include Essence, Yet Another Love Song, and O Que Não Foi Dito.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Every time I listen to Bebel Gilberto, I inevitably think, "I need to listen to Bebel Gilberto more often." I caught her in an intimate show a few years back and it was spectacular.



Previously revisited for the blog:
Tudo (2014)
All in One (2009)
Momento (2007)
Bebel Gilberto (2004)
Tanto Tempo Remixes (2001)
Tanto Tempo (2000)

No comments:

Post a Comment