Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, November 7, 2016

Bebel Gilberto - Tudo (2014)


Bebel treats us to even more of her Brazilian chillout music, a fantastic blend of MPB, jazz/pop, adult contemporary, and bossa. Recorded in Los Angeles, Brooklyn, Portland, and several studios in Brazil, I expected an incoherent mess but that's not the case at all. There's no surprises here (unless you count the one track sung in French) and I didn't want any when I purchased it, just more of the same from her earlier stuff. I'd prefer if she just stuck to singing in Portuguese, but that's a minor quibble. Perfect for relaxing, this album is recommended for any number of occasions: cocktail party, late night listening, rainy day listening, or, as I'm currently doing, avoiding work in the office. This is one of those albums that improves with each subsequent listen so I've been letting it sink in for the past two years and happily so. I'll just hit play again, sit back, and enjoy this for a second time this morning.

Album chart Peaks
  • US Billboard 200: Did not chart
  • Billboard Jazz: #11
  • Billboard World Albums: #1

Tracks: My favorites are Somewhere Else, the brief but beautiful Tom De Voz, Novas Ideias (a duet with Seu Jorge), Areia (which reminds me of Chicago's Wishing You Were Here), and her take on the classic Jobim tune Vivo Sonhando with the best flute solo I've heard in years. The bizarre arrangement of Neil Young's Harvest Moon doesn't really fit here, so I usually skip it to get to the title track.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Every time I listen to Bebel Gilberto, I inevitably think, "I need to listen to Bebel Gilberto more often."

Previously revisited for the blog:
All in One (2009)
Momento (2007)
Bebel Gilberto (2004)
Tanto Tempo Remixes (2001)
Tanto Tempo (2000)

No comments:

Post a Comment