Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Various Artists - Living In Oblivion: The 80's Greatest Hits, Volume 4 (1994)


The fourth of five volumes from EMI Records Group. A couple of months back, I featured Volume 1 of the series and wrote these words: "I'll give you odds on whether or not I'll eventually pick up other volumes in this series (warning: don't take that bet cuz I've got a CD addiction to feed)." And soon after that, I found this CD in a used bin and here we are, as predicted.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks, with both US and UK chart peaks and links to previous appearances on this blog:
SongArtist
Year
US
UK
Prev.
Dance Hall DaysWang Chung198416211, 2, 3, 4
One Thing Leads To AnotherThe Fixx 19834-1, 2
TrueSpandau Ballet 1983411, 2, 3, 4, 5
Come On EileenDexys Midnight Runners 1982111, 2
Digging Your SceneThe Blow Monkeys 19861412
Sister of MercyThompson Twins 1984-111, 2
Under The Milky WayThe Church 198824-
Lean On Me (Ah-Li-Ayo)Red Box 1985-3
Since YesterdayStrawberry Switchblade 1984-51
You Don't KnowScarlett & Black 198820-
Some PeopleBelouis Some 198567331
ShockThe Motels 198584-
Belly Of The WhaleBurning Sensations 1983--
TendernessGeneral Public 198427-1, 2, 3, 4
Get Out Of LondonIntaferon
1983
-93
GoTones On Tail 1984--1
Slang TeacherWide Boy Awake
1982
--
LawnchairsOur Daughter's Wedding 1981-491
Mexican RadioWall Of Voodoo
1982
58641, 2

So 8 of the 19 tracks are new to my CD shelves, a pleasant ratio of new and familiar to be sure. Here's my thoughts on those eight:
  • Digging Your Scene: I was surprised to find I didn't already have this on CD as I've been listening to it for years and downloaded the thing via Napster around the turn of the century. The great sophistipop music belies the serious, timely lyrical content. But sweet sassy molassey that's some smooth groove. The version on this compilation is the "U.S. Mix," clocking in at 4:41.
  • Under The Milky Way: Another one I thought I already had somewhere. I think The Church were ahead of their time because now when I hear them, they sound more '90s than '80s to me. Regardless, this is a great dream pop song and a huge hit internationally (it also reminds me of The Cure, but I digress). I dig how it builds from the acoustic part at the beginning before it seamlessly moves to synth pads, bagpipe synth, and so on. Has it really been over 20 years since Donnie Darko was released?
  • Lean On Me (Ah-Li-Ayo): This one was new to me - I guess they didn't play it on MTV back in '85, maybe? It's a little too precious for these ears, the chorus sounds like it was lifted from a Proclaimers b-side.
  • You Don't Know: a shuffle in the same vein as Everybody Wants To Rule The World but what a fantastic hook on the chorus. Never has a song about the end of a relationship sounded so joyous. A one-hit wonder on multiple continents, but at least we got this single.
  • Shock: not a particularly well-written tune, it is over-produced and a complete waste of Martha Davis's unique voice.
  • Belly Of The Whale: I can't help but move to this feel they've got working here. I don't know if 'calypso rock' is a genre, but regardless, there should be more songs like this. I dig the verse more than the driving chorus, but it's a good song, I vaguely remember the video on MTV, and Burning Sensations is a helluva band name.
  • Get Out Of London: the band does the best they can with the material as the arrangement is much better than the writing. Maybe credit producer Martin Rushent for that. I don't hate it, but I don't love it.
  • Slang Teacher: New to me on this disc, but sounds exactly like something I would have loved in '82. Catchy as all get-out and easy to sing/chant along with.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, but repeat the above warning.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Volume 1 (1993)

No comments:

Post a Comment