Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, April 9, 2022

Silk Sonic - An Evening with Silk Sonic (2021)


German import.

This album brings a smile to my face and scratches me right where I itch. Hell, even my arthritic joints are movin' a bit more than usual. A neo-R&B-funk-pop-soul album by a duo who were apparently brought up on a steady diet of '60's & '70s soul music: Motown, Al Green, Delfonics, Isley Brothers, etc. The music would be good enough on its own but then they add some lyrics with a sense of humor. Fantastic, if not for the occasional misogyny. It would be wrong to call this retro or derivative - like good artists, the duo takes the best parts of their influences and creates something they can call their own. Just dig those harmonies and the groove the rhythm section is laying down. Have mercy.

Metacritic currently has it rated at 83 out of 100, with the best description coming from the review in Variety:
Wisely, at just a half hour in length, the album doesn’t outstay its welcome, and although not every song is great, the vibe carries through from end to end — and once it’s over there’s no way you’re not playing it again.
You know there's something special going on when most everybody I know (including the wife and kids!) like the thing. I thought it was a shoe-in to sweep the Grammy awards and, in my mind, it should have won Album Of The Year but it wasn't even nominated. However, the single Leave The Door Open won every category in which it was nominated: Record of the YearSong of the YearBest R&B Performance, and Best R&B song.

Evidently the whole thing started as an in-joke between Bruno and Anderson - I'm just grateful fate brought those two together. Whatever they're selling musically, I'm buying. Here's hoping there's more where this came from.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #2
  • Billboard R&B: #1


Tracks: I know the award-winning hit is Leave The Door Open, but for me that particular track comes in second to Smokin Out The Window. But there's nothing skippable and a solid album when taken as a whole. Sequenced perfectly.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: When Anderson .Paak showed up for a cameo at the Super Bowl LVI halftime show, me and my oldest son got excited because we thought Silk Sonic was about to make an surprise appearance. Didn't happen, but there's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment