Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 2 'Little Russian' (2006)


Neeme Järvi conducting the Göteborgs Symfoniker, the National Orchestra of Sweden. Recorded in 2004 at the Gothenburg Concert Hall at Götaplatsen.

I was thinking of this symphony awhile back, listened to the only other recording I have of the work, and thought I needed to expose myself to a different interpretation. I did a quick search for top recordings and found this CD recommended on several websites. I wasn't familiar with the conductor, orchestra, or even the record label, but took a chance on it anyway. In addition to the second symphony, the CD includes three of Tchaikovsky's overtures, all of which were new to me.

The symphony utilizes Ukrainian folk tunes (at the time, Ukraine was colloquially known as “Little Russia”) with whimsical titles such as "Down by Mother Volga," "Spin, O My Spinner" and "The Crane."
Järvi likes a lively tempo and favors a bright sound from the strings and woodwinds. Most movements of the symphony were much faster than I'd heard before. Probably a little quicker than I would take it, but I enjoy the variety. 

After a few listens, I enjoy the three overtures and I'll enjoy further exploration; hopefully there's some scores available online as everything is in the public domain. Overall, I'm glad I picked up this one.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I was introduced to the Symphony No. 2 by the San Antonio Symphony back in 1989 and fell in love with it immediately. I particularly enjoy that Tchaikovsky 'broke the rules' by writing a march for the second movement instead of the typical slow, lyrical section. As a result, the entire symphony is upbeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment