Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Various Artists - Casey Kasem presents America's Top Ten Through The Years: The 80s (2000)


The color choice for that cover graphic is burning my retinas, but the hype blurb in the bottom right states:
20 of the Greatest Top Ten Hits of the 80's by the original artists. Includes artist photos and fun facts about the decade. Great for parties and a must-have for any music collection!
I very recently picked up this compilation out of a used CD bin simply because it had the name Casey Kasem on it. This disc is one of an extensive Kasem series available at the AmericasTopTenHits.com website. I haven't even looked at the track listing so I have no idea if I already own these recordings or if they've appeared previously on this blog; let's find out:
  • Back On The Chain Gang - The Pretenders: Peaked at #5 in March 1983.
    Already had a copy on Learning To Crawl.
  • Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran: Peaked at #3 in March 1983.
    Numerous versions on Duran Duran albums/box set and at least one New Wave compilation.
  • Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins: Peaked at #3 in May 1984.
    Numerous versions on Thompson Twins albums/box set and 80s compilations.
  • Call Me - Blondie: Peaked at #1 in April 1980.
    A couple of versions on a Blondie greatest hits disc and numerous 80s compilations.
  • Heaven - Bryan Adams: Peaked at #1 in June 1985.
    New to the archives. This ballad always reminds me of a high school band trip from Texas to California in late May/early June 1984. Being a normal 17-year-old boy, my hormones and I were on the prowl that entire trip and the long bus ride halfway across the country and back made it fairly easy for me to chase tail because there was nowhere for the ladies to run. Anyway, I ended up enjoying some time with a girl a year younger than me who I'll call Faye (not her real name - it's the name of the lead female character in the movie A Night In Heaven - never seen it). We each had a Walkman and she would often pull out her cassette of the soundtrack to A Night In Heaven and play this song and only this song - side 2, track 1 - before moving on to something else. My relationship with Faye didn't survive the trip but I did try to briefly rekindle something the following year. But that's a story for another time. Oh - this Adams song? It's awite.
  • The Living Years - Mike + The Mechanics: Peaked at #1 in March 1989.
    Didn't have a copy and didn't really need one. This one's not for me.
  • Need You Tonight - INXS: Peaked at #1 in January 1988.
    Also on Kick.
  • Come On Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners: Peaked at #1 in April 1983.
    I would have bet money I had multiple copies of this one, but the only other I can find is on the compilation Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 8.
  • Love Song - The Cure: Peaked at #2 in October 1989.
    It's a landmark day here at blog headquarters as this track marks the very first appearance of The Cure on The CD Project. It's not that I don't like the band, I just haven't ever picked up any of their stuff. I dig this tune and this is a welcome addition to my collection. In October 1989, I had been married for two months and was gasping for air in my first teaching position. That time is mostly a blur now, but I do remember this song was played quite a bit on The Edge, the first alternative radio station I can recall hearing.


  • Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant: Peaked at #2 in July 1983.
    Previously heard on Billboard Top Hits 1980 - 1984.
  • He's So Shy - The Pointer Sisters: Peaked at #3 in October 1980.
    Also included on the aforementioned Billboard Top Hits 1980 - 1984 box set.
  • At This Moment - Billy Vera & The Beaters: Peaked at #1 in January 1987.
    I remember this ballad-waltz being a huge hit (was it from a movie?), but I never really connected with it.
  • All Out Of Love - Air Supply: Peaked at #2 in September 1980.
    New to my shelves, but very welcome as this is one of my preferred songs from AS. The early '80s were very good to this duo as well as a teenage boy hoping for a slow dance (i.e., one of my general height, weight and build). There's not much to the verse, but the chorus is full of hooks. And who hasn't tried to sing along and hang on at the end as Russell Hitchcock holds the final note for 15+ seconds?
  • Shout - Tears for Fears: Peaked at #1 in August 1985.
    First purchased on Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92).
  • She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals: Peaked at #1 in April 1989.
    On a New Wave compilation (I know, right?) as well as The Raw & The Cooked.
  • Another One Bites The Dust - Queen: Peaked at #1 in October 1980.
    Also appears on Rhino Instant Party Disc: Regular Strength.
  • Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Eurythmics: Peaked at #1 in September 1983.
    I've got this one on a couple of compilations and a greatest hits album.
  • Love Shack - The B-52's: Peaked at #3 in November 1989.
    Also available on a party compilation, a greatest hits disc, and the five-track CD single.
  • Rock This Town - Stray Cats: Peaked at #9 in December 1982.
    Also on two other compilation discs including I Love Rock & Roll: Hits of the 80's, Vol 4.
  • If You Don't Know Me By Now - Simply Red: Peaked at #1 in July 1989. On a SR greatest hits album but the better original version from Harold Melvin & The Blue Tones is in the spectacular Philadelphia International Records: The 40th Anniversary Box Set.
Overall, this disc could have used a little more R&B flavor and there's sequencing problems, but it isn't a bad compilation and, as stated, would be decent party fare. Final tally: of the 20 tracks here, I previously owned 15 on CD. Probably not the most prudent purchase but, nevertheless, I'll buy the next Casey Kasem compilation I come across.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: When I bought this CD, the 20-something store clerk said "Casey Kasem! Alright! I just found out he was the voice of Shaggy Rogers!" Ignoring the fact that this kid knew Shaggy's surname off the top of his head, I responded that Kasem was also the voice of Robin in '70s & '80s Batman/Super Friends cartoons and the clerk reacted like I'd just told him where the fountain of youth was located.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Casey Kasem presents America's Top Ten: 1970s Rock's Greatest Hits (2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment