Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Norah Jones - Pick Me Up Off The Floor (2020)


I played this album several times since I bought it back in June and, to be honest, none of it did much for me. Very repetitive and leans a little too far towards country at times. I read that Metacritic rated it at 83 and I just wasn't hearing it. But I love Norah (and would eagerly help her up off the floor), so I kept giving the album another chance because obviously I was missing something. I don't know if the tenth time's a charm, or the fact that I eventually listened after dark, but I finally started enjoying a few of the songs. Persistence kinda sorta paid off.


I wish there weren't so many ballads, but at least I'm now happy with the purchase. It's not a 83, though. The press release for the album uses the phrase "a heavy mood that leans into darkness before ultimately finding the light" and that's better than anything I could come up with so let's leave it there.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #87
  • Billboard Contemporary Jazz: #1

Tracks: The tracks I finally came around to are How I Weep, Flame Twin, Hurts To Be Alone, I'm Alive, and Stumble On My Way.



Bonus tracks: Of the two bonus tracks, Street Stranger is certainly worthy of inclusion on the album proper.

An expanded 30-track digital Deluxe Edition was released four months after the CD was released because that's the way we're headed now, apparently.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Begin Again (2019)
Day Breaks (2016)
...Little Broken Hearts (2012)
The Fall (2009)
Not Too Late (2007)
Feels Like Home (2004)
Come Away With Me (2002)

No comments:

Post a Comment