Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Norah Jones - Not Too Late (2007)


We love us some Norah Jones round here but this album is hovering around the middle of her Ĺ“uvre. Overall, very quiet and melancholy, it's her first album to feature all original compositions. Stretching out like an artist should without totally alienating her audience - that's a tough fence to straddle and Jones has done a fine job of it here. There isn't much variety and there are a few bland tunes that sound like they weren't ever fleshed out, but the high points are good enough that I can overlook those bland tunes.

Metacritic has this album rated at 68/100, which is a little low for me but not by much. In a review that gives the album 3 out of 4 stars, the Boston Phoenix offered: "Too good to hate, not exciting enough to love, she still makes most of what’s out there sound like phony baloney." Perfect.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #1 (3 non-consecutive weeks)

Tracks:  The lead track, Wish I Could, is absolutely gorgeous and when the cello and overdubbed vocals come in it just gets better. Also good are Until The End, Thinking About You, Wake Me Up, Be My Somebody, and the title track. I don't care for Sinkin' Soon and Little Room. The rest fit in the bland tune category I mentioned earlier.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Unfortunately for the general public, I think my voice fits comfortably an octave below Norah's so I often sing loudly along with this CD in my truck. Maybe they'd prefer I belt out some gospel tunes?

Previously revisited for the blog:
Day Breaks (2016)
...Little Broken Hearts (2012)
The Fall (2009)
Feels Like Home (2004)
Come Away With Me (2002)

No comments:

Post a Comment