Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Various Artists - Music From And Inspired By the Motion Picture The Apostle (1998)


Only 3 of 13 tracks actually appear in the film, so what's left is a fairly good country gospel sampler. A rare soundtrack album that can stand on its own.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #175 (March 14, 1998)

Tracks: The first two of the three from the film, Steven Curtis Chapman's I Will Not Go Quietly, and Patty Loveless' Two Coats are a bit too country for my taste, but Lyle Lovett's I'm a Soldier in the Army of the Lord is wonderful, maybe the best song on the CD. Another highlight is Rebecca Lynn Howard singing one of my favorite hymns, Softly And Tenderly, with a sparse, tasteful accompaniment. It's always refreshing when you get to hear musicians who know when not to play. Ditto for Johnny Cash singing In the Garden. Another favorite is The Sounds Of Blackness singing Victory Is Mine. The only missteps are Lari White's There Is Power In The Blood and Russ Taff singing There Ain't No Grave.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I enjoy this movie and bought the CD as an attempt to get some gospel music in my collection. Being the son of a Texas preacher, you'd think I was raised on country gospel, but that's not the case. Gotta play catch up. On occasion, I will put this CD in the truck, roll down the windows, and sing along at full volume. Fortunately, I'm in East Texas where, by law, you can't make fun of anyone singing gospel music.

No comments:

Post a Comment