Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Eurythmics - Greatest Hits (1991)


GREATEST HITS FORTNIGHT (FEBRUARY 6-19, 2012)

I owned all Eurythmics releases between 1983-86, including their soundtrack to the movie 1984. I think that's a total of 5 albums, so I feel confident when I tell you that the band was a singles band, not an album band. They had a lot of filler in their releases. However, they were fairly reliable during the mid-80's, turning out at least a hit a year. It was both fascinating and frustrating to hear them slowly move from keyboard-driven technopop to guitar-driven rock/pop. Dave Stewart is a chameleon as a musician, but let's be honest, the star here is Annie Lennox's voice.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #72

Tracks:
SongAlbumHot 100DanceRockAC
Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)121636
When Tomorrow ComesRevenge----
Here Comes The Rain AgainTouch4486
Who's That Girl?Touch21---
Would I Lie To You?Be Yourself Tonight552-
Sisters Are Doin' It For ThemselvesBe Yourself Tonight1810--
There Must Be An Angel )Playing With My Heart)Be Yourself Tonight2231--
Missionary ManRevenge1461-
Don't Ask Me WhyWe Too Are One40-12-
I Need A ManSavage46632-
Love Is A StrangerSweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)237--
Thorn In My SideRevenge68---
The King & Queen Of AmericaWe Too Are One----
AngelWe Too Are One-44--

Missing Top 40 hit: Right By Your Side (#29, 1984)

To have owned all those albums, I'm not wild about many of these songs. Hands down, my all-time favorite Eurythmics track is Would I Lie To You? I also like Sweet Dreams, Love Is A Stranger, and There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) which features a wicked harmonica solo by Stevie Wonder that might be the best 30 seconds on the disc. The rest I can do without. Liking only 4 out of 14 tracks, I don't think this was the smartest buy I've made. I would have liked the inclusion of Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty-Four), but I'm apparently in the minority since I actually like that dance track.

For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: When I see pictures of a suit-wearing Lennox from the early '80s with her short hair, it reminds me that she, along with Boy George, really schooled me on the subject of androgyny. I wonder if there were any social scientists during that time who researched the affects of MTV on the adolescent mind? If only I had graduate assistants to hunt down such things for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment