Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tears For Fears - Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92) (1992)


I was never a die-hard T4F fan, but I usually enjoyed their music when it came on the radio or MTV. I owned their most popular release, the 1985 album Songs From The Big Chair, on cassette and I think my buddy Jim gave me his copy of their debut album, 1982's The Hurting, but the debut didn't really resonate with me other than the manic single, Change. I considered just purchasing a Songs From The Big Chair CD, but I like the psychedelic title track from the 1989 album Sowing The Seeds Of Love, so I opted for this compilation instead. It was good decision. The band apparently split in 1991, but I had already moved on to other groups by then.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #53 (April 11, 1992)

Tracks:
SongUSUK
Sowing The Seeds Of Love25
Everybody Wants To Rule The World1 2
Woman In Chains3626
Shout1 4
Head Over Heels312
Mad World- 3
Pale Shelter-5
I Believe- 23
Laid So Low (Tears Roll Down)-17
Mothers Talk27 14
Change-4
Advice For The Young At Heart89 36

My favorite tracks are Sowing The Seeds Of Love and the 5 tracks taken from Songs From The Big Chair, except I Believe which has always seemed a little off to me. I can now appreciate the earlier songs from The Hurting. I can't say why I didn't like them back in the '80s - I must've been in a bad mood when I listened to the album for the first time (A teenager in a bad mood? What are the odds?). Not a fan of Woman In Chains or Advice For The Young At Heart.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: One spring day in 1990, I was teaching in a Dallas suburb when a Dallas radio station van pulled up outside my classroom right before school was out for the day. The DJ had dropped by without school permission to do a hit-and-run promo and give out about 100 free tickets to the upcoming Tears For Fears concert. I let my small group of students run out and get their tickets before the bell rang. I'm wondering why I didn't go out and get some tickets myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment