Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, January 30, 2022

Various Artists - Living In Oblivion: The 80's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 (1993)

CD cover

The first of five volumes from EMI Records Group. As of this writing, Volume 1 is the only one I own. The disc includes tunes that pre-date the '80s, making the CD title a bit untruthful, but that doesn't bother me much. I usually claim June 6, 1978 (the release date of The Cars album) as the birthdate of '80s music, so I'm willing to cut the compilers some slack. Bonus points for great sequencing and comprehensive liner notes.

Billboard magazine article

For me, this particular compilation neatly separates itself into four sections:
  1. tracks 1-7: tracks I have on other CDs and enjoy greatly
  2. tracks 8-12: tracks that I didn't remember and enjoy greatly
  3. tracks 13-15: tracks I have on other CDs and enjoy greatly
  4. tracks 16-18: tracks I have on other CDs but pass
A .833 batting average with five good new-to-me cuts? On the cheap from the used bin? I'll take it.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks, with both US and UK chart peaks:
SongArtist
Year
US
UK
Too ShyKajagoogoo198251
Always Something There To Remind MeNaked Eyes 1983859
Talk TalkTalk Talk 19827523
Kids In AmericaKim Wilde 1981252
Turning JapaneseThe Vapors 1980363
The Politics Of DancingRe-Flex 19832428
19Paul Hardcastle 1985151
Homicide999 1978
40
RomanticideCombo Audio 1981

GuiltyClassix Nouveaux 1981
43
(Get A) Grip (On Yourself)The Stranglers 1977
44
2-4-6-8 MotorwayTom Robinson Band 1977
5
C30, C60, C90, GoBow Wow Wow 1980
34
(She's) Sexy + 17Stray Cats 1983529
She Blinded Me With ScienceThomas Dolby
1982
549
Chant No. 1 (I Don't Need This Pressure On)Spandau Ballet 1981
3
I Eat Cannibals (Part One)Total Coelo
1982
668
Shiny ShinyHaysi Fantayzee 19837416

Previous posts regarding most of these tracks can be found here, but I'll include some thoughts on the five tracks that were new to me:
  • Homicide: to be fair, I have heard this cut before on another compilation, but I didn't remember it. Sounds a bit like Television or The Boys. I dig the singer's snarled delivery. And I just found out it was produced by Martin Rushent.
  • Romanticide: a catchy, bouncy New Wave tune. If I hadn't read that Combo Audio was from Illinois, I would have guessed the UK. It would seem Ultravox was popular in Champaign-Urbana.
  • Guilty: If I ignore the singer's voice, I really like this tune. More of the catchy, bouncy New Wave mentioned above - the sort to which I gravitated around 1982-84.
  • (Get A) Grip (On Yourself): I don't know anything about The Stranglers other than the fact that they have a fantastic band name. I like the chorus and the arpeggiated bridge; normally I don't care much for screeching sax, but it just fits here. Another Rushent production.
  • 2-4-6-8 Motorway: Again, I've heard this one before on the same compilation as Homicide, where I gave it a coveted grade of ✔. Easy to chant along with and includes one of the few guitar solos on this disc.


Data suggests you can't put together an '80s compilation without including She Blinded Me With Science; this post marks its eleventh appearance on this blog. And I never tire of hearing it.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, but I'll give you odds on whether or not I'll eventually pick up other volumes in this series (warning: don't take that bet cuz I've got a CD addiction to feed).

No comments:

Post a Comment