Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Various Artists - No Thanks! The '70s Punk Rebellion (Disc 3) (2003)


THINKING OUT OF THE BOX SET WEEK (MARCH 8 - 14, 2020)*
*In which I've lost/misplaced/can't find/never had one or more CDs in a multi-disc set.


Disc 3 of a 4 disc box set.



Another stellar compilation from Rhino (but, honestly, not as good as Disc 2). Lots of good stuff including some artists with which I was previously unfamiliar. I certainly wasn't listening to punk singles in the late '70s - I would guess I began my punk education around 1982 or so. I can just imagine 13 year old Mark bringing home an album like The Incredible Shrinking Dickies in 1979 and watching my mother faint upon seeing the title.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:

SongArtist
Ready Steady Go (from Generation X, 1978)Generation X

Teenage Kicks (1978 single)The Undertones
Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (1977 single)Ian Dury
Have You Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've?) (from Love Bites, 1978)Buzzcocks
Rocker U.S.A. (from Suicide, 1977)Suicide

Mongoloid (single version, 1977)Devo
Homicide (from Separates, 1978)999
Mr. Big (from 198 Seconds of The Dils, 1977)The Dils

Warsaw (from An Ideal for Living, 1978)Joy Division
Where Were You? (1978 single)The Mekons
Lexicon Devil (from Lexicon Devil, 1978)The Germs
(My Baby Does) Good Sculptures (single version, 1977)The Rezillos
The Wait (from Stop Your Sobbing single, 1979)The Pretenders
We Got The Neutron Bomb (1978 single)The Weirdos

Pablo Picasso (from The Modern Lovers, 1976)The Modern Lovers
Action Time Vision (from The Image Has Cracked, 1978)Alternative TV
2-4-6-8 Motorway (1977 single)Tom Robinson Band
We Are The One (from We Are the One, 1977)The Avengers
Borstal Breakout (1978 single)Sham 69
Wasted (from Nervous Breakdown, 1979)Black Flag
Sheena Is A Punk Rocker (single version, 1977)Ramones
I Love Livin' In The City (single version, 1978)Fear
She's So Modern (from A Tonic for the Troops, 1978)The Boomtown Rats
Ghosts of Princes in Towers
(from Ghosts of Princes in Towers, 1978)
Rich Kids
We're Desperate (from Adult Books single, 1978)X

You Drive Me Ape (You Big Gorilla)
(from The Incredible Shrinking Dickies, 1978)
The Dickies
Dancing The Night Away (single version, 1977)The Motors

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: At some point in 2018, I was killing time one work day (shhhh, don't tell The Man) by perusing the bins at one of the local used CD joints. The red oval Rhino logo caught my eye:


Without doing any investigating, I immediately purchased the thing because of said logo and the words "'70s Punk." It wasn't until I returned home and snooped a bit online that I discovered the disc was part of a box set. No matter, it's still an excellent compilation. Still, I wish I had the liner note booklet.

I'm also reminded that I need to listen to more Buzzcocks.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Disc 2

(yeah, it's very lazy to mostly cut-and-paste from yesterday's post, but it's spring break and I'm feeling lazy. The thing is, when you're an adult, "spring break" translates to "mandatory five unpaid days off" so there's that bitterness, too. And this year, the spring break is a week or two too early, but nobody asked me. Regardless of my bellyachin', I'm enjoying myself and spinning a lot of discs. Was considering heading up I-35 to Austin to catch some SXSW but that's been cancelled over coronavirus fears.)

No comments:

Post a Comment