Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, March 9, 2020

Various Artists - No Thanks! The '70s Punk Rebellion (Disc 2) (2003)


THINKING OUT OF THE BOX SET WEEK (MARCH 8 - 14, 2020)*
*In which I've lost/misplaced/can't find/never had one or more CDs in a multi-disc set.


Disc 2 of a 4 disc box set which, according to unconfirmed online sources*, got its "No Thanks!" title as a response from John Lydon when asked if the set could include Sex Pistols tunes.



Another stellar compilation from Rhino. Lots of good stuff including some artists with which I was previously unfamiliar. I certainly wasn't listening to punk singles in the late '70s - I would guess I began my punk education around 1982 or so. I can just imagine 11 year old Mark bringing home an album like L.A.M.F. in 1977 and one of my parents asking, "What's that abbreviation mean?"

Billboard, November 15, 2003, p. 23

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:

SongArtist
Lust For Life (from Lust For Life, 1977)Iggy Pop
Gary Gilmore's Eyes (1977 single)The Adverts
Sat'day Night In the City Of The Dead (from Ultravox!, 1977)Ultravox
What Do I Get? (1978 single)Buzzcocks
X Offender (from Blondie, 1976)Blondie
Lookin' After No. 1 (from The Boomtown Rats, 1977)The Boomtown Rats
Don't Dictate (1977 single)Penetration
Bingo Master (from Bingo-Master's Break-Out!, 1978)The Fall
Free Money (from Horses, 1975)Patti Smith
The Modern World (from This Is The Modern World, 1977)The Jam
Chinese Rocks (from L.A.M.F., 1977)The Heartbreakers
New Rose (from Damned Damned Damned, 1977)The Damned
Ambition (1978 single)Subway Sect
See No Evil (from Marquee Moon, 1977)Television
Suspect Device (single version, 1978)Stiff Little Fingers
Mannequin (from Pink Flag, 1977)Wire
Baby Baby (from Pure Mania, 1977)The Vibrators
Love Comes in Spurts (from Blank Generation, 1977)Richard Hell and the Voidoids
First Time (from The Boys, 1977)The Boys
Sonic Reducer (from Young Loud and Snotty, 1977)The Dead Boys
Shot by Both Sides (from Real Life, 1978)Magazine
Mystery Dance (from My Aim Is True, 1977)Elvis Costello
Trash (from New York Dolls, 1973)New York Dolls
The Day the World Turned Day-Glo
(from Germfree Adolescents, 1978)
X-Ray Spex
Do Anything You Wanna Do (from Life on the Line, 1977)Eddie and the Hot Rods

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: At some point in 2018, I was killing time one work day (shhhh, don't tell The Man) by perusing the bins at one of the local used CD joints. The red oval Rhino logo caught my eye:


Without doing any investigating, I immediately purchased the thing because of said logo and the words "'70s Punk." It wasn't until I returned home and snooped a bit online that I discovered the disc was part of a box set. No matter, it's still an excellent compilation. Still, I wish I had the liner note booklet.

I'm also reminded that I need to pick up a copy of Marquee Moon.

*is "unconfirmed online" redundant?

No comments:

Post a Comment