Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, October 5, 2020

Various Artists - Rock of the 80's, Vol. 12 (1994)


The 12th volume of a 15 disc series. Sure, I've got most of these tracks on other discs but there were 3 tunes that I had never heard and I figured hearing those three songs was worth the price of a used CD.

Tracks:
  • Karma Chameleon - Culture Club (#1, 1983)
    By my reckoning, this is the fourth time this song has appeared on this blog and that's about three times too many.
  • Head Over Heels - Tears For Fears (#3, 1985)
    Previously appeared on this blog on a greatest hits disc and a New Wave compilation. Here's something I wrote previously: "I was always a big fan of this group's Songs From The Big Chair album. If I'm in the right mood, I might consider this to be the best song on the 1985 album."
  • Vacation - The Go-Go's (#8, 1982)
    Previously appeared on this blog on a greatest hits disc, a New Wave compilation, and the Vacation album itself. Here's something I wrote previously: "In 1982, I was so disappointed in the title track of this album that I almost broke up with The Go-Go's.  I can't explain the disappointment, I just didn't like the song and refused to buy the album because I'm a stubborn S.O.B. The song has since grown on me, but it is far from being the best song on the album."
  • Games People Play - The Alan Parsons Project (#16, 1981)
    One of the few APP tunes I have on CD. I've always enjoyed the singles, including this one, so why haven't I ever gone on a CD deep-dive? Ah, well, I've got more time on my hands than usual these days, so I'll add that to my mostly-imaginary action list.
  • Dance Hall Days - Wang Chung (#16, 1984)
    Previously appeared on this blog on a New Wave compilation, an '80s compilation, and the Points On The Curve album itself. Here's something I wrote previously: "I always liked this song when it came on the radio, especially the mysterious way the vocals were put way down in the mix. Maybe my second favorite Wang Chung song after To Live And Die In LA."
  • Deeper And Deeper (Live) - The Fixx (1987)
    Taken from the 1987 live album, React, which I didn't know existed until I picked up this here compilation and now I'm thinking of picking up a copy of React as a concert souvenir even though I say the band on an earlier tour. Nonetheless, when I called the radio station in the summer of 1984 and literally begged for free tickets to the show, the song that kept running through my head was Deeper And Deeper. This version isn't as good as the studio version - I can't tell what's going on with the guitar solo - but it's about what I was expecting.

    Not only did the radio station get me and
    my friends in to the concert, we were VIPs!

  • Perfect Way - Scritti Politti (#11, 1985)
    Previously appeared on this blog on a New Wave compilation, another New Wave compilation (I gotta be me, after all), and the Cupid & Psyche 85 album itself. Highlight of the compilation - love the song, love the album it was taken from. I think it still holds up. Any song good enough for Miles Davis is good enough for this humble, recovering trumpet player.
  • Call Of The West - Wall Of Voodoo (1983)
    Taken from the band's second studio album (which also included Mexican Radio), I was previously unfamiliar with this cut. It's got the band's characteristic spaghetti western sound underneath Stan Ridgway's unique vocal stylings. Very repetitive. I don't love it but I don't hate it so I'll sit comfortably on the fence for this one.
  • Jane's Getting Serious - Jon Astley (#77, 1987)
    Never heard this one before, either. Astley's voice reminds me of David Byrne, but I dig the guitar work. Only thing missing is a real hook, so it's another 'meh' from me. According to the wiki, this song was featured in a Heinz Ketchup TV ad starring Matt Le Blanc. And here it is if ya need it:


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I'm hoping that I don't wig out and try to collect all 15 discs in this series. That would be a complete waste of money and sounds exactly like something I'd do.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Vol. 2 (1992)


Blog post #1600

No comments:

Post a Comment