Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Go-Go's - Vacation (1982)


In 1982, I was so disappointed in the title track of this album that I almost broke up with The Go-Go's. I can't explain the disappointment, I just didn't like the song and refused to buy the album because I'm a stubborn S.O.B. The song has since grown on me, but it is far from being the best song on the album. The album isn't nearly as fun as its predecessor, Beauty And The Beat, but it's still got a few entertaining summer, surf-type songs from the girls. Overall, too many minor key songs on this one for my tastes, though. The high points of the group for me have always been the drumming of Gina Schock and wonderfully unique voice of Belinda Carlisle (love ya, Belinda, call me!) and neither disappoints here. If you need mindless poolside music, this fits the bill perfectly, but I don't use it for much more than that. Fortunately, the girls would come back strong in 1984 with Talk Show so it turns out I didn't need to break up with them, after all.

Press of the time:
  • Rolling Stone (★★★★): "an amusing miracle"
  • Smash Hits (6 out of 10): "poppy songs as modern as they're ancient."
  • Robert Christgau (B-): "you can't build a wall of sound (much less an empire) out of tissue paper."
  • Stereo Review: "something of a letdown"
  • Record Mirror: "Who will save America from Joan Jett and the Go-Go's?"


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #8
  • Billboard Rock: #21
  • CashBox: #5
  • Rolling Stone: #3

Tracks: the top track is Get Up And Go, followed closely by the cover of The Capitols' Cool Jerk. I also enjoy Girl Of 100 Lists, I Think It's Me, and This Old Feeling. I usually skip Worlds Away and It's Everything But Party Time; Rolling Stone labeled the latter "the most dour song ever written about hedonism." Most songs aren't even 3 minutes long, so if you don't like a track, you don't have to wait too long for the next one.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Return To The Valley Of The Go-Go's (1994)

2 comments:

  1. Get Up And Go and Cool Jerk are easily my top tracks from this one as well. My full review is here: Martin's View: The Go-Go's - Vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vacation is all I ever wanted.

    Not really, though. Loved Beauty and the Beat so much, bought Vacation fresh out the box on release day not having heard the title track single. Played it once and then ignored it for years. Bought and loved Talk Show and through the years somehow "lost" my copy of Vacation.

    Go-Go's vinyl on the shelf today includes two cover variations of Beauty and the Beat and one copy of good ol' Talk Show. (Have every Go-Go's release on CD though.)

    ReplyDelete