Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Pet Shop Boys - Discography: The Complete Singles Collection (1991)


In this house, it's always time for PSB - one of the few groups we can all agree on. This is a 18 track compilation of their singles released 1985-1991. It gets a lot of playing time 'round here.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #111

Tracks:  I don't skip any of these tracks. Hands down, my favorite PSB song is Left To My Own Devices. In a close race for second place are West End Girls, Suburbia, and What Have I Done To Deserve This, followed by So Hard and Where The Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You). Chart positions follow:

Song US UK
West End Girls 11
Love Comes Quickly 6219
Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)1011
Suburbia708
It's a Sin91
What Have I Done To Deserve This?22
Rent
8
Always on My Mind41
Heart
1
Domino Dancing187
Left To My Own Devices844
It's Alright
5
So Hard624
Being Boring
20
Where The Streets Have No Name724
Jealousy
12
DJ Culture
13
Was It Worth It?
24


For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  This CD was a gift to me from my late friend Scott, so it's very special to me.

A few weeks ago, rain forced my son to stay inside, so he passed the time by playing a video game upstairs while I was elsewhere in the house. Suddenly, I hear him excitedly yelling, "PSB ON GTA!!!" I walked upstairs to check it out and, sure enough, we were listening to West End Girls while he drove over people on the sidewalk.

Now that I've heard Left To My Own Devices this morning, I will probably listen to it at least 5 more times today.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Yes (2009)
Fundamental (2006)
Somewhere (1997)
Bilingual (1996)
Disco 2 (1994)
Very (1993)
Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You) (1991)

1 comment:

  1. What a banner day this has turned out to be for your boy HERC. First, my man Martin featured Defenders Of The Faith by Judas Priest on Martin's View and now you go and shine the spotlight on another all-time favorite album!

    When I bought my copy of this CD shortly after it was released In November 1991, it had the CD single of "Always On My Mind" attached. I liked Discography because it had mostly 7" single versions which I did not have on any of the other PSB discs I had. 12" mixes, sure but no single edits.

    While "Left To My Own Devices" is indeed a strong song, my favorite PSB track remains "Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money)". Just by typing it, I've activated some sort of overwhelming compulsion to hum the damn song and now I have to hear it.

    This album is an embarrassment of riches from a duo that has been doing it to death for nearly 30 years now. Last year's Electric was yet another super-produced sonic gem. The way they incorporate modern dance music trends and sounds into their own mix makes for a wonderful listen, especially with headphones on.

    Bless you and thank you for all the great music, Neil and Chris.
    And thanks to Mark for making a great day even better by dusting off this almost 23 year old disc.

    ReplyDelete