Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pet Shop Boys - Somewhere (1997)


"WEST SIDE STORY" WEEK (NOVEMBER 10-16, 2013) 

CD Single

I bought a lotta dance singles in '97 and this combination of Bernstein and Pet Shop Boys was something I just had to hear. And it's exactly what you'd expect a dance take on West Side Story's most famous ballad to sound like. This version is completely frivolous and I love it. There's no doubt the release date is 1997 - it is definitely of its time.

They called this 6 track release a "CD5 Maxi Single" but at 39 minutes, it is longer than many albums I own.

Peak on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart: Did not chart (it "bubbled under" at 125)
Peak on the Billboard Dance chart: #19

Tracks:  We're treated to 2 mixes of Somewhere, including a 10+ minute remix. Of those, I prefer the former to the latter. The original ends with an odd, but enjoyable, downbeat Beatleseque coda while the longer mix doesn't contain much of the original; I'm surprised Bernstein and Sondheim retained writing credit. We also get two versions of PSB's previous single, A Red Letter Day, from the album Bilingual, and not one, but two b-sides (if they were still called that in '97): The View From Your Balcony and Delusions Of Grandeur. No bad track, it's all well and good, but I really only want to hear the shorter version of Somewhere.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Yes (2009)
Fundamental (2006)
Bilingual (1996)
Disco 2 (1994)
Very (1993)
Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You) (1991)

No comments:

Post a Comment