Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pet Shop Boys - Disco 2 (1994)


NUMBERS WEEK (MARCH 14-20, 2011)

This is a little much, even for me. Disco 2 is the eighth album by the PSBs, consisting mainly of remixes of songs from their 1993 album Very. As of this writing, there are 4 volumes in the Disco series, but I only own this one. Disco 2 was not well-received upon its release, but I liked it at the time. The tracks on the CD were mixed into one long continuous megamix meaning that, even though there are 12 tracks, it's really just a single 48 minute non-stop mix. Most of the tracks are in edited versions, having been cut off mid-way through in a crossfade into the following tracks (as a DJ might do while mixing music live). When it was released, I could easily handle it, but now, many years later, I find it exhausting to listen to it.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #75 (Oct 8, 1994)

Tracks:
  1. Absolutely Fabulous (Rollo Our Tribe Tongue-In Cheek Mix)
  2. I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing (Beatmasters Extended Nude Mix)*
  3. I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing (DJ Pierre Wild Pitch Mix)
  4. Go West (Farley & Heller Mix)
  5. Liberation (E Smoove 12" Mix)*
  6. So Hard (Morales Red Zone Mix)
  7. Can You Forgive Her? (Rollo Dub)
  8. Yesterday, When I Was Mad (Junior Vasquez Fabulous Dub)
  9. Absolutely Fabulous (Rollo Our Tribe Tongue-In Cheek Mix)
  10. Yesterday, When I Was Mad (Coconut 1 12" Mix)*
  11. Yesterday, When I Was Mad (Jam & Spoon Mix)
  12. We All Feel Better In The Dark (Brothers In Rhythm After Hours Climax Mix)*
Tracks marked with an asterisk (*) are my picks for the best remixes.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: When I taught 8th grade English during the 1997-98 school year, I developed a close friendship with Martha, the teacher that taught in the classroom next to mine. We also shared the same lunch and conference period, so we spent a lot of time together that year. She gave birth to her son in the spring of 1998 and was gone for about 6 weeks. While she was gone, I got into the habit of getting work done during my conference period instead of chewing the fat with Martha. Not long after she returned to work, she came into my classroom to visit during our conference period. I had this CD playing that day and was rushing around my classroom, getting things done. She tried to have a coversation with me, but I was obviously distracted. Martha finally said, "Will you turn that music off and sit down for a second?" I never realized the manic state this music had put me in. I guess if you had to do some housecleaning, this CD might be appropriate. I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to it before today.

No comments:

Post a Comment