Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Pet Shop Boys - Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You) (1991)


CD Single

I recently asked a friend, "What 3 words would come to mind if I said 'Pet Shop Boys CD Single of "Where the Streets Have No Name"?'" to which he replied, "No, thank you." The boys aren't for everybody, but I enjoy them in a mindless sort of way. This, along with my enjoyment of covers and remixes, made the purchase of this single (for $1 at Half Price Books in San Marcos) a requirement. Combining these two songs is characteristic of the PSB "I don't care what you think" attitude. Of course they don't go together lyrically, that's the point.

Tracks: There are 3 mixes here, the original 7", a 12" mix, and the Red zone mix. (It's interesting how they call them 7" and 12" mixes when they are on a 5" CD). Of these 3 mixes, I prefer the original mix. The disc also contains Bet She's Not Your Girlfriend and a remix of I Want a Dog which could be better than the original.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None for this CD in particular, but the song I Can't Take My Eyes Off You always reminds me of a hilarious scene with Denise Richards in the 1999 movie Drop Dead Gorgeous.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed, Mark! I can't believe you can remember so much about all of these CDs. I particularly like your note about this one and how you automatically spelled Denise Richards...the right way.

    ReplyDelete