Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Pet Shop Boys - Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You) (1991)

Where the Streets Have No Name CD single cover

CD Single

I recently asked a friend, "What 3 words would come to mind if I said 'Pet Shop Boys CD Single of "Where the Streets Have No Name"?'" to which he replied, "No, thank you." The boys aren't for everybody, but I enjoy them in a mindless sort of way. This, along with my enjoyment of covers and remixes, made the purchase of this single (for $1 at Half Price Books in San Marcos) a requirement. Combining these two songs is characteristic of the PSB "I don't care what you think" attitude. Of course they don't go together lyrically, that's the point.

This CD single was released during a time when the industry was moving from 3" CD singles (CD3) to 'regular-sized' 5" discs, so this short-lived CD5 logo appears on the back cover to differentiate the two:
CD5 CD single logo

Tracks: There are 3 mixes here, the original 7", a 12" mix, and the Red zone mix. (It's interesting how they call them 7" and 12" mixes when they are on a 5" CD). Of these 3 mixes, I prefer the original mix. The disc also contains Bet She's Not Your Girlfriend and a remix of I Want a Dog which could be better than the original.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None for this CD in particular, but the song I Can't Take My Eyes Off You always reminds me of a hilarious scene with Denise Richards in the 1999 movie Drop Dead Gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment