Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Nick Heyward - You're My World (1988)


UK Import CD Single

So with a blog titled "The CD Project" you'd think that I would have several Mini CD singles (aka CD3), but until recently I didn't have one.

Standard CD and CD3

While they remained popular in Japan for quite some time, the 3.1 inch CD single had a relatively short life span in the US from about 1988-90. I think the aim was to replace the vinyl 45 and cassingle format, but after a while the record companies simply put less music on a standard size (4.7 inch) CD for singles. It didn't help that the CD3 required an awkward adapter to play in many standard CD players:


Anyways...I didn't have a CD3 and thought I should acquire one for blog purposes so I found this 4 track Heyward single recently on eBay. Not only did it fill a format void in my collection, I discovered new Heyward music that I didn't have in my collection. Win-win! So after scolding myself for not acquiring this disc earlier, I sat down and gave it a listen.


Peak on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart: Did not chart (peaked at #67 in the UK)

Tracks:  The first two tracks, the single You're My World and Pizza Tears, appear on Heyward's album I Love You Avenue (1988, Reprise). The third track is an extended version of You're My World, clocking in at 6:51. It's a solid dance remix that incorporates all the elements of dance remixes of the time, including too much echo, and drum break in the middle, and a heavier bass line than the original. A fun synth solo was also added. The final track, Strange Life, was entirely new to me. It's an enjoyable Erasure-style dance tune and while it isn't Heyward's strongest song, it's new-to-me Heyward and that's always welcome in this house.

Smash Hits, August 24, 1988, p. 77

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  None.


Previously revisited for the blog:
Live At The IndigO2 28th Jan 2011 (2011)
The Apple Bed (1998)
Stars In Her Eyes (1998)
Today (1997)
The Man You Used To Be (1997)
A Hard Days Nick (1996)
The Greatest Hits of Nick Heyward & Haircut 100 (1996)
The World (1995)
Tangled (1995)
From Monday To Sunday (1993)
He Doesn't Love You Like I Do (1993)
Kite (1993)
The Best of Nick Heyward & Haircut 100 (1989)
I Love You Avenue (1988)
Postcards From Home (1986)
Pelican West (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment