Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Nick Heyward - Tangled (1995)


UK Import (album inexplicably never released in US)

This record has been described both as Oasis-lite and great lost Britpop music of the mid-’90s. I think it sounds like Oasis with better songwriting; ofttimes you shouldn't confuse popularity with quality. I've been a fan of Heyward since he was with Haircut 100, and while he has adapted his styles to current trends, his singing and songwriting have been consistently strong (his low point was in the late '80s, but made a strong comeback in '93). I've already reviewed two CD singles from this release (here and here), and while there are tracks I like better than others, I listen to this CD often. Heyward is one of those few artists whose music I always buy before ever hearing it. Unfortunately, he hasn't done much lately except for a Haircut 100 live reunion album (yes, you know I've got it and will blog about it later). I don't know if he doesn't have a label or he's just not writing anymore. Shame. An expanded edition of this album was released in 2011; not sure there's enough new stuff to warrant a purchase.

Tracks: My favorite track is the opener, Kill Another Day followed closely by She's Another Girl. Other highlights are Believe In Me, along with the Beatleseque tunes She Says She Knows and The Breadwinner. The other tunes are solid; I don't skip any tracks.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I wasn't working in 1995 (by choice) and this album was just what I needed at the time.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Stars In Her Eyes (1998)
Today (1997)
A Hard Days Nick (1996)
The World (1995)
He Doesn't Love You Like I Do (1993)
I Love You Avenue (1988)
Postcards From Home (1986)

No comments:

Post a Comment