Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Nick Heyward - I Love You Avenue (1988)


I'm a big fan of this British singer/songwriter and have most if not all of his albums and singles, but this is probably his worse release. Pure late '80s saccharine synthpop with all that entails. The writing isn't always terrible, but the production of the time doesn't really serve the material well. To give you an idea of the overall sound of the album, you should know that some of the mixing here was done by John Hudson, who also worked with a-ha and The Dream Academy. The CD is out of print but it is available inexpensively online via eBay. As of this writing, the album is not available on iTunes, but all of Heyward's other albums are.

Smash Hits

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Not too many memorable tracks on this one. The best track is the ballad Traffic In Fleet Street. I also like You're My World, This Is Love, Tell Me Why, and the title track. The weaker tracks include Hold On, Pizza Tears, Change Of Heart, and August In the Morning.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Heyward's first solo album, North Of A Miracle, is one of my all-time favorites. After it was released, I never heard another thing about him and just figured he'd quit recording. Then I came across this disc in '89 or '90 at the huge Dallas Half Price Books on Northwest highway near Central Expressway. The store has since changed locations, but its new location is just as big. I knew immediately that this disc wasn't as good as North Of A Miracle, but I was so happy to have new music by Heyward that it got plenty of playing time for a while.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Stars In Her Eyes (1998)
Today (1997)
A Hard Days Nick (1996)
The World (1995)
Postcards From Home (1986)

1 comment:

  1. It is my all-time favourite of Nick. I spend months to track down an obscure bootleg edition of this album with 5 bonus tracks. I posted it on RateYourMusic as "I Love You Avenue Plus".

    ReplyDelete