Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Pet Shop Boys - Fundamental (2006)


Note: my CD is the "special limited edition" that includes a bonus CD of remixes titled Fundamentalism.

This is the PSB's 16th album, but only their 9th of entirely new music. Even though it was produced by Trevor Horn, I don't love it. The lyrics are political and the music is very serious, generally slower and in minor keys. I want dance music, boys! Overall, the critics liked it with Metacritic giving it a 75, so I guess I'm missing something. Overall, I'm just bored.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #150 (July 15, 2006)

Tracks: My favorites include Psychological, Minimal (which sounds just like a New Order song), and I'm With Stupid. Skip the many ballads, especially the one written by Diane Warren, Numb.


Bonus tracks: at this point, I should mention that the "special limited edition" is still available 6 years after its release, so I'm unsure of how limited it is. Finally, though, we get some dance music that actually sounds like the PSB. The tracks Fugitive (Richard X Extended Mix), Psychological (Alter Ego Remix), I'm With Stupid (Melnyk Heavy Petting Mix), Minimal (Lobe Remix) are the best remixes here. While I like almost all the tracks (I could do without the Sodom and Gomorrah remixes), they are a little much for this old man to take all in one sitting. Better to spread them out in an iTunes shuffle. Still, it's a shame when the bonus CD is better than the main CD.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Yes (2009)
Bilingual (1996)
Disco 2 (1994)
Very (1993)
Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You) (1991)

Blog post #650

No comments:

Post a Comment