Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, October 4, 2020

Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Mystic Voyage (1975)


"Depending on who you talk to, 1975's Mystic Voyage is either a classic or an example of a talented musician lowering his standards in order to make more money. But it's definitely enjoyable and pleasing if you fancy 1970s soul and funk and aren't a jazz snob." - Alex Henderson, Allmusic

Well, Alex, I do indeed fancy 1970s soul and funk, I'm not a jazz snob, and I find Mystic Voyage definitely enjoyable. I'd like to think the 9 year old version of myself would have dug this album and since we'll never know, let's just assume that's true because there's plenty to dig, including the funky sound of my beloved Hohner Clavinet.

Tunes on this album have wisely been sampled by the likes of Public Enemy, Coolio, Will Smith, Common, etc. I strongly suggest you sample the original.

Press of the time:
  • Billboard: "Ayers manages elegantly to bring a jazzy instrumental sophistication to a more soul-funk style."
  • CashBox: "the perfect musical marriage of a whole lot of musical influences."
  • Record World: "A voyage to be taken."
  • Stereo Review: "totally lacking in feeling and imagination."

Ayers has enjoyed more popularity abroad than in the US.
Sadly, these dates had to be postponed.


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #90
  • Billboard Jazz: #4
  • Billboard R&B: #13
  • CashBox: #90
  • CashBox Jazz: #13

Tracks: There's a nice variety here of styles, instrumentals & vocals, funk & jazz. The highlights are the tracks that feature Ayers's vibe work: Mystic Voyage, Evolution, The Black Five. And don't miss Brother Green (The Disco King) and Funky Motion (note to self: check out more Ronnie Foster sides). I wanted to not like track 9, Spirit of Doo Do, simply because of an inane title only the aforementioned 9 year old would love, but dadgummit it's got a irresistible slow funk groove.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Online evidence suggests this is a rare, expensive CD on the secondary market, so I was lucky to pick it up for $5 at a local used CD store on a recent visit. The CD was marked $19.99 and I was willing to pay that (buy 'em when you see 'em, I always say), but the store owner just picked up my stack of CDs, said "$5 each alright?" to which I shrugged, nodded, paid, and got the hell outta there.

This album has sent me down a '70s jazz/funk/soul rabbit hole so if you like this sorta thing, watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment