Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Various Artists - Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s (1994) Vol. 9

This is the 9th volume of a fantastic 15 volume set released in the mid-'90s by the always wonderful Rhino Records. This thing is a real mixed bag. Some of the best songs of the '80s alongside some of the worst. Songs on this volume were released in the years 1982 and 1983.

Tracks:
  • Rio - Duran Duran (#14 pop, #5 rock)
    Love. It. Maybe my favorite Duran song. I remember singing all the background harmonies on this one after repeated listenings. Unfortunately, the version included here is the butchered single edit.
  • I Melt With You - Modern English (#78 pop, #7 rock, #60 dance)
    Although the video got quite a bit of play on MTV, this single wasn't heard much on the radio when it was first released, now you can't get away from it. I liked it back in the '80s, but I think the overexposure makes me want to skip over it now.
  • Cool Places - Sparks & Jane Wiedlin (#49 pop, #13 dance)
    I only heard this song once or twice back in high school, but was reintroduced to it through this CD. Fun stuff. Right up my alley, I can't believe I didn't buy the album back in '83.
  • Love My Way - Psychedelic Furs (#44 pop, #30 pop, #40 dance)
    Richard Butler's voice always put me off and I was never a big P Furs fan, but dadgum they have some great tunes.
  • Save It For Later - The English Beat (#106 pop, #58 dance)
    Not the group's usually ska. This is more pop, but it is a spectacular pop song. One of my favorite early '80s songs from one of my favorite early '80s albums, Special Beat Service.
  • Whenever You're On My Mind - Marshall Crenshaw (#103 pop, #23 rock)
    I wasn't a Crenshaw fan back in the '80s simply because I was never introduced to his great music. The inclusion of this great song on this compilation led me to buy a greatest hits CD. Now I'm a huge fan. Retro-rock at it's finest.
  • Keep It Tight - Single Bullet Theory (#78 pop)
    This is bad new wave (yes, I know some of you think that's redundant).
  • Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes
    A cult favorite; I never really caught on to their minimalist vibes. Memorable riff, tho.
  • The Cutter - Echo & The Bunnymen
    I didn't listen to Echo in the '80s and I have to wonder why not. Maybe I didn't like the moody post-punk stuff back then? I was a teenager so I certainly didn't need additional angst in my life, but I enjoy it now.
  • Sign Of The Times - The Belle Stars (#75 pop, #43 dance)
    Good, but not great. Sounds like Bananarama (you have to decide for yourself if that's a compliment or an insult).
  • Poison Arrow - ABC (#25 pop, #39 pop)
    I just love the bass line. Is there such thing as smooth, sophisticated, white boy funk? (that question is rhetorical)
  • Too Shy - Kajagoogoo (#5 pop, #23 rock, #25 dance)
    As I've mentioned before, I love this song. It's one of my all-time favorite one hit wonders.
  • Let Me Go - Heaven 17 (#74 pop, #32 rock, #4 dance)
    More solid Brit-synth-soul. First song I heard from this group. It didn't make a good initial impression, but I'm glad I stuck with it. These three tracks back-to-back-to-back (Poison Arrow, Too Shy, then Let Me Go) is simply brilliant sequencing.
  • Dancing In Heaven (Orbital Be-Bop) - Q-Feel (#75 pop, #18 dance)
    This manic dance number is fun to listen to. Once.
  • Teenage Enema Nurses In Bondage - Killer Pussy
    A novelty tune as bad as the title and band name would suggest. The best part of the song is the last line: "This job stinks!"
  • I Eat Cannibals - Total Coelo (#66 pop, #27 dance)
    Another Banarama knock-off. Horrible lyrics include such lines as "We are what we eat/you're my kind of meat." I just lost my appetite.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment