Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Leonard Slatkin Conducts Russian Showpieces (1986)


Leonard Slatkin conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

As the title suggests, this is a Russian music sampler, with works from the time frame 1890's through the 1940's. I think the term "showpieces" might be a stretch. Would I buy this CD again? Probably not.

Tracks: While they are the most popular pieces on the disc, I could do without Pictures At An Exhibition and Sabre Dance, probably because I've heard them so many times. My favorite work here is Prokofiev's Classical Symphony in D. I don't know if the Stravinsky piece is good or bad because I just don't understand Stravinsky.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: One of the first CDs I purchased, back when there wasn't a lot of selection. Slatkin, then music director of the St Louis Symphony Orchestra was a rising star in the conducting world. As a music student, I was going through a Russian music phase and purchased this as well as works by Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, and other members of The Five. That phase came and went and I soon found other composers to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment