Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Leonard Slatkin Conducts Russian Showpieces (1986)


Leonard Slatkin conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

As the title suggests, this is a Russian music sampler, with works from the time frame 1890's through the 1940's. I think the term "showpieces" might be a stretch. Would I buy this CD again? Probably not.

Tracks: While they are the most popular pieces on the disc, I could do without Pictures At An Exhibition and Sabre Dance, probably because I've heard them so many times. My favorite work here is Prokofiev's Classical Symphony in D. I don't know if the Stravinsky piece is good or bad because I just don't understand Stravinsky.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: One of the first CDs I purchased, back when there wasn't a lot of selection. Slatkin, then music director of the St Louis Symphony Orchestra was a rising star in the conducting world. As a music student, I was going through a Russian music phase and purchased this as well as works by Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, and other members of The Five. That phase came and went and I soon found other composers to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment