Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Various Artists - Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 3 (1994)


This is the 3rd volume of a fantastic 15 volume set released in the mid-'90s by the always wonderful Rhino Records. One of the better volumes of the series, with lots of seminal early '80s new wave songs. Songs on this volume were released in the years 1979-1982. Included are US chart peaks.

Tracks:
  • Cars - Gary Numan (#9 pop, #56 dance)
    A groundbreaking classic.
  • Private Idaho - The B-52's (#74 pop, #5 dance)
    Not my favorite B-52's song, but I enjoy it every once in a while. I like the word play on "private eye."
  • Making Plans For Nigel - XTC
    While I like this song and listened to it often when I was in high school, I wouldn't consider myself to be an XTC fan.
  • Teacher Teacher - Rockpile (#51 pop)
    I had this on the band's Seconds Of Pleasure album. I don't know what happened to that thing. Anyway, this is typical Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds fare (which means it's good).
  • Looking For Clues - Robert Palmer (#105 pop, #18 dance)
    Before he made a huge comeback in 1985 with Addicted To Love, Palmer recorded this perfect slice of New Wave pop. "Bouncy keyboards" are the only words I can think of that describe it. Then, out of nowhere, xylophone solo!
  • I Live In The City - The Humans
    The first clunker on the disc.
  • Drivin' - Pearl Harbor & The Explosions
    I dig this quirky song. Lene Lovich meets The Motels meets Robert Fripp.
  • What I Like About You - The Romantics (#49 pop)
    Not a huge hit when it was released, now, if you watch TV or attend sporting events, you can't get away from it. I had the self-titled album that included this song. The Romantics just wanted to be The Kinks.
  • 88 Lines About 44 Women - The Nails
    Awkward white boy rap/spoken word over a beat lifted from Trio's Da Da Da. The title tells you exactly what's in the lyrics. Interesting, but you really don't need to hear it more than once. In fact, I'd had enough around 22 lines about 11 women.
  • New Toy - Lene Lovich (#19 dance)
    A great song written by Thomas Dolby. The only problem I have with this song is the fact that I didn't hear it until the '90s.
  • Fade To Grey - Visage
    Another groundbreaking song in the electronic synth-pop genre. Members of this studio band included members of Ultravox and Magazine.
  • Stool Pigeon - Kid Creole & The Coconuts (#25 dance)
    I don't have the words to describe this quirky blend of world music, rap, '40's music, and disco except to say it bears no resemblance to New Wave music.
  • Tempted - Squeeze (#49 pop, #8 rock)
    One of my all-time top ten songs (and that's not a designation I toss around lightly).
  • Too Much Pressure - The Selecter
    Fun 2 Tone ska number. Say hello to Walt Jabsco.
  • It's A Night For Beautiful Girls - The Fools
    Not very good. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse you get one of the worst solos every recorded.
  • Are You Ready For The Sex Girls? - Gleaming Spires
    For the sex girls? Yes, I'm ready. For this song? No, I'm not.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This compilation was just too strong to pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment