Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Squeeze - Singles: 45's and Under (1982)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD.

One of the greatest "best of" collections of the '80s bar none. This was one of the first albums I replaced with a CD back in the late '80s. I've since picked up all the Squeeze studio releases on CD, but I've kept this around solely for the non-album single, Annie Get Your Gun, which isn't the best Squeeze song, but at the time it was noteworthy because it would be the last Squeeze single, ever (well, as it turns out, maybe not).  From the November 11, 1982 edition of Rolling Stone magazine:


That brief item made me sad. Fortunately, the break-up didn't last long. And I was happy again.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #47
Peak on CashBox album chart: #65
Peak on the Rolling Stone chart: #25

Tracks: We've seen all but one of these songs before. For my opinion on the titles and the albums they came from, click on the album links in the table below.

Song
Album
UKUS
Take Me I'm YoursU.K. Squeeze19
Goodbye GirlCool For Cats63
Cool for Cats2
Up the Junction2
Slap and Tickle24
Another Nail in My HeartArgybargy17
Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)44
If I Didn't Love You

Is That LoveEast Side Story35
Tempted4149
Black Coffee in BedSweets From a Stranger51103
Annie Get Your Gun Previously unreleased43



Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  In high school, I dubbed a cassette copy of the album so I could listen to it in the car. I remember thinking that, in order to save me time fast-forwarding through the tape, I would only record the really good songs off the album. Needless to say, they all made the cut, even though I wasn't wild about the last two tracks.

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Complete BBC Sessions (2008)
Domino (1998)
Ridiculous (1995)
Some Fantastic Place (1993)
Babylon and On (1987)
Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti (1985)
Difford & Tilbrook (1984)
Sweets From A Stranger (1982)
East Side Story (1981)
Argybargy (1980) - 1987 reissue and 2008 Deluxe Edition
Cool For Cats (1979)
U.K. Squeeze (1978)

No comments:

Post a Comment