Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Squeeze - Argybargy: Deluxe Edition (1980)


This is a great pop album. Back on November 23, 2010, I reviewed my original copy (1987 release) of this CD for this blog. My final comment in that post was "Argybargy was re-issued in 2008 as a two disc Deluxe Edition. If any of you want to get me something for my birthday or Christmas, this would be a welcome gift." My loving sister took this to heart and I did indeed receive the Deluxe Edition that Christmas. So, while I will listen to the entire 2 CD set this morning, I'll limit my comments to the 25 bonus tracks. The 36 page booklet of liner notes is a wonderful new addition as well.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #71
Peak on CashBox album chart: #89

CD 1 bonus tracks (previously unreleased tracks, b-sides, & demos): A lot of these sound like nondescript 1980 music, a blend of disco, pop, and new wave. It's not that they're bad, they often don't sound like Squeeze songs (i.e., Go and Going Crazy). Of the 9 bonus tracks on this disc, the best are Funny How It Goes, Pretty One, and Library Girl. Interestingly, there's an alternate version of the fun song Farfisa Beat, but the Farfisa organ is barely heard.

CD 2 bonus tracks (a 1980 radio ad for the the album followed by a recording of the group live at the historic Hammersmith Odeon on March 9, 1980): the radio ad is a historical curiosity, but certainly not something you'd want to hear more than once. The live tracks are a different story altogether. If these recordings are any indication, Squeeze was a great live band in 1980. They sound like they're just playing in a local pub for the boys having a pint. Lots of fun and lots of energy. If you've got the old CD, the live tracks make the Deluxe Edition a worthwhile purchase. There's even a good cover of Ray Charles' Mess Around.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My sister gave me this edition for Christmas, 2010. Immediately ripped to iTunes, this new edition has probably received more playing time that the original.

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Complete BBC Sessions (2008)
Domino (1998)
Some Fantastic Place (1993)
Babylon and On (1987)
Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti (1985)
Difford & Tilbrook (1984)
East Side Story (1981)
Argybargy (1980)
Cool For Cats (1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment