Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Difford & Tilbrook (1984)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD.

The songwriting duo from Squeeze put out this album after the group split up (temporarily) in the early '80s. Compared to the duo's usual fantastic writing, the songwriting on this release isn't that great, but even the best material couldn't hold up to the slick, flat production given here. However, this came out in the summer of 1984 and I listened to it non-stop, so I'm very familiar with all the tunes and arrangements. Difford & Tilbrook should have been more well known in the US, but this wasn't the release that would gain them fame and recognition. This CD is out of print and very rare (I didn't pay this much, but they are currently selling for $45-50) but you can now download the album from iTunes on the cheap.

Press of the time:



Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #55
  • Billboard Rock: #25
  • CashBox: #58
  • Rolling Stone: #33

Tracks: I have to admit that I always listen to the first 8 tracks no matter how bad they may be. The better tracks are Action Speaks Faster, Love's Crashing Waves, On My Mind Tonight, Hope Fell Down while the worse ones are Tears For Attention and The Apple Tree.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: During the summer before starting college, I endured an overnight freshman orientation and I must have listened to this album non-stop on the way there and back, because I can't listen to it without thinking about that hot summer drive. The car I drove didn't have a cassette player, so I had to use my Sony Walkman. I had taken some of my high school graduation money and purchased the smallest Walkman I could find, which at that time was about the size of a cassette case (below). That thing lasted me a long time, but I can't think of listening to anything on it except Difford & Tilbrook and maybe Talk Show by The Go-Go's.


Previously revisited for the blog:
Domino (1998)
Some Fantastic Place (1993)
Babylon and On (1987)
Argybargy (1980)

No comments:

Post a Comment