Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Squeeze - Argybargy (1980)


I'm a Squeeze fan and have been ever since I heard the soul-infused song Tempted back in the early '80s. This album was released before that single and, for some unknown reason, I never went back and picked up this release. Like many albums on the A&M label, this CD was rare and unavailable for many years. When I finally found a copy, it was like Squeeze had just released a new CD for me. This is a fantastic album and began the comparison of Squeeze songwriters Difford & Tilbrook to Lennon & McCartney.

Press of the time:
  • Stereo Review: "as musical satirists these guys are the Kink's children. And they're funnier."
  • Smash Hits (9 out of 10): "Gets better with every play"
  • Record World: "Radio should love this record. "
  • Billboard: "breezy, new wave influenced pop brew"
  • Robert Christgau (B-): "'Tis said McCartneyesque tunefulness is the ticket here, but to me Tilbrook sounds more like Ray Davies"

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #71

Tracks: Of the 11 tracks, the only two I don't particularly care for are I Think I'm Go Go and Here Comes That Feeling. Hidden Gems: Separate Beds and Farfisa Beat. The hits: Pulling Mussels (From the Shell), Another Nail in My Heart, and If I Didn't Love You.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: In 2007, I found my copy of this CD in a used CD store. Because it was out of print and rare, I ended up paying a little more than I would have liked. So, of course, Argybargy was re-issued in 2008 as a two disc Deluxe Edition. If any of you want to get me something for my birthday or Christmas, this would be a welcome gift. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment