Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Spyro Gyra - Stories Without Words (1987)


Note: this release was originally purchased as an LP, later replaced by a CD.

I must like this group more than I would have thought. When I reached for this CD, I counted how many discs I currently own by Spyro Gyra. 23 with more to come. All 23 get listened to and, in any case, I don't make apologies for music I like. It's interesting how a group from Buffalo, NY can produce quality music with a strong Latin/Carribean influence. That's like having a western swing band from Hawaii. I wouldn't exactly describe SG as a smooth jazz group because they often drift more to fusion. Back in the '80s, this group would release an album every year like clockwork and I would be right there to be a copy as soon as it was released. I slowed down on the SG purchases after this particular release, not because no longer liked the music, but because I was discovering so much new music at that time in my life.

Press of the time:
  • DownBeat (★★½): "Beckenstein's baby seems to be in a rut."
  • Billboard: "Droves of the band's eager fans will gobble this up while purists continue to scoff."

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #84 (Oct 17, 1987)
  • Billboard Contemporary Jazz: #1
  • Billboard Pop CD: #25
  • Billboard R&B: #67
  • CashBox Jazz: #4
  • Rolling Stone: #35
  • Radio & Records Jazz Radio National Airplay: #2

Tracks: Strong opener in Cayo Hueso. Del Corazon is a beautiful composition. My favorite on this CD, and one of my favorite SG tunes, is the Latin number Nu Sungo. On most SG releases, they include one unusual experimental fusion piece that usually needs to be skipped for continuity's sake. On this release, that piece is the last track, Pyramid.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This CD reminds me of being home from college during the Christmas break in December, 1987. I must have made a cassette tape from my LP and listened to it as I drove around San Antonio in my '85 Oldsmobile Firenza.

No comments:

Post a Comment