Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, April 15, 2023

Various Artists - Living In Oblivion: The 80's Greatest Hits, Volume 3 (1994)


The third of five volumes from EMI Records Group. I didn't buy any discs in this series upon release but now they're appearing in used CD stores as people shamelessly discard entire CD collections. Some of my favorite 80's tunes are here, including Perfect Way and It's My Life, plus great tunes like Poison Arrow, (Keep Feeling) Fascination, and Life In A Northern Town. Also, 7 of the 19 tracks are new to my CD shelves, so it's a perfect mix of familiar and unfamiliar, which is all I can ask of these sorts of compilations.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks, with both US and UK chart peaks and links to previous appearances on this blog:

SongArtist
Year
US
UK
Prev.
(Keep Feeling) FascinationHuman League1983821, 2, 3, 4
Perfect WayScritti Politti 198511481, 2, 3, 4
Cruel SummerBananarama 1983981
Life In A Northern TownDream Academy 19857151, 2
Election DayArcadia 1985671
Shattered DreamsJohnny Hates Jazz 1987251
Sunglasses At NightCorey Hart 19847-1, 2
The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear ShadesTimbuk 3 198619211, 2
Make A Circuit With MeThe Polecats 1983-76
Rock This TownStray Cats 1981991, 2, 3, 4
Sidewalk TalkJellybean 19841847
It's My LifeTalk Talk 198431461, 2
(I Just) Died In Your ArmsCutting Crew 198614
Hanging On A Heart AttackDevice 198635-
Poison ArrowABC 19822561, 2, 3, 4
AEIOU Sometimes YĒbn-Ōzn 1983--
Are You SureSo1988 4162
The Way You AreTears For Fears 1983-24
What Do All The People KnowThe Monroes1982 5911

Here's my thoughts on those 7 first-timers:
  • Make A Circuit With Me: Prior to the purchase of this CD, I was completely unfamiliar with The Polecats, a rockabilly group out of London. Even though there's not much to it, I bob my head to the catchy tune and happy feel of this one, but I wasn't into rockabilly at the time of release so it's safe to say I like it more now than I would have at the time of release. The liner notes state the tune is "built around a metaphor of electronics as sex, perfectly tuned to the Reagan-era" way of thinking.
  • Sidewalk Talk: The liner notes also offer up this alliterative blurb: "Mighty Manhattan mixer John 'Jellybean' Benitez made his first album without singing or playing one note." (Not to be pedantic, but it was an EP, not an album, but point taken.) Although she didn't receive an artist credit, this is a Madonna tune. It's highly danceable, but the #18 peak on the pop charts sounds about right.
  • (I Just) Died In Your Arms: Didn't care much for this one back in '86 and it hasn't aged well. Pass. Coincidently, I often mistake Cutting Crew for Johnny Hates Jazz and them both being included on this compilation has only compounded my confusion.
  • Hanging On A Heart Attack: I know of Holly Knight as being a great songwriter and member of the group Spider, but I didn't know she was a member of a later group, Device. Sadly, this isn't one her better tunes.
  • AEIOU Sometimes Y: Devoid of melody, but I like the groundbreaking sampling/DIY aesthetic here. Reportedly the first commercial single produced entirely on computer, it didn't dent the pop chart, but was popular in the clubs in 1983, peaking at #20 on the dance chart.
  • Are You Sure: I hadn't previously heard of this song or band, but the single sounds like any number of its contemporaries, nothing to really distinguish it. Could have used a catchy chorus.
  • The Way You Are: A single-only release between the duo's first two albums. Neither of the duo like the thing: "I think this was the point at which we realised we had to change direction." I don't think it's all that bad, just a bit unfocused as if the guys couldn't decide if they wanted to sound like experimentalish drum-driven synthpop or have more of a synth-reggae sound. The liner notes claim this compilation was the first official US release of the song. 

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, but here's to finding the remaining volume in the used bins and a 5-disc carousel player at the thrift store.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Volume 1 (1993)
Volume 4 (1994)
Volume 5 (1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment