Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, April 21, 2023

Duran Duran - Rio: 2015 Reissue (1982)


I've often claimed 1982 as my favorite year in pop music and ranked this album as the best release of that year, so it only makes sense that I would eventually pick up a copy of a 2 disc deluxe edition. And here we are. I initially believed it was a mostly superfluous, completist purchase as I thought had most of the versions included here on other discs, mainly the 2003 singles box set. However, I was mistaken as there are some new additions to my collection here. And let's be honest, while that singles box set is gorgeous, a fun idea, and I'm glad I have the thing, it is a big pain to mess with all those discs with only 3 or 4 tracks on each; I'm pretty lazy when it comes to stuff like that.

If you're looking for my earlier thoughts on my original CD plus the usual print ads, CD longbox picture, album reviews, chart data, etc., please check out my 2012 post here: The CD Project: Rio. This post will primarily deal with the new-to-me mixes, bonus tracks, and packaging.

First off, these discs improve on the sound of my other Rio disc and some of the original UK mixes - like the title track, New Religion and Last Chance On The Stairway - have a pop they were missing on some of the other recordings I own. Even the demo tracks sound better than one would expect.

The 24 page booklet includes lyrics, credits, a 2009 essay by Daryl Easlea, and lots of glamour shots of the boys from the early '80s. All using that original, wonderful graphic design from Malcolm Garrett. Oddly missing is the familiar cityscape shot included on my LP's inner sleeve back in '82:


Tracks:

My picks haven't changed over the years:
  • best track: Rio
  • most underrated track: Last Chance On The Stairway
  • most overrated track: Save A Prayer
  • most intriguing track: The Chauffeur

It's nice to have the complete UK version in sequence. I'm also fascinated by all five versions of My Own Way (one of the better tracks on the album) to see how it evolved.

I have no use for demos, but as mentioned above, these sound polished and are at worth hearing at least once or twice. The real treat in this set is the second ⅔ of CD Two - having these 9 cuts in one place is a convenient treat. Highlights: 1) the disco strings and too-fast tempo of both the original 7" and Night versions of My Own Way, 2) the Spanish guitar influence on the haunting early version of The Chauffeur, and 3) the just-when-you-thought-this-song-couldn't-get-any-better Night Version of Rio.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Most memories recapped in my previous post, but here's a Duran-related story I forgot to mention there: When I was 16, I took first-year French as an elective during my junior year of high school. The teacher was a cheerful, free-spirit kind of woman who encouraged us to create "French names" to use while in her class. I changed Mark to Marco (which is of Italian origin, not French, I now realize) and, due to my fandom of Duran Duran, I picked Le Bon as a surname, becoming Marco Le Bon for the two years I was in that French classroom. However, "Mark the Good" is hardly how I would describe the 16-year-old version of myself. But I still get called Marco on occasion from high school friends and my wife.

I will also take this opportunity to offer my hearty endorsement of Annie Zaleski's 2021 book in the 33⅓ series about this album.
Books in this series tend to be hit-or-miss, but this one is well-researched and, therefore, highly informational and useful to fans of the album (i.e., someone of my general age, height, weight and build). Recommended.

And while this question haunts me from time to time...
...the answer in regard to this album is a resounding "both" for this guy. I'm glad I picked up this set.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Astronaut (2004)
The Singles 81 - 85 (2003)
Decade (1989)
Rio (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment