
Performed by Hyung-ki (Richard) Joo, half of the comedy duo Igudesman & Joo.
Listening to whatever this is, I'm reminded of the following quote from Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton:
“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.” ― Dr. Ian MalcolmYeah, Joel could attempt some "serious" composition, but should he? As it is, he just joins the other pop/rock songsmiths that have tried the thing with similar undemanding, lackluster, disappointing results (I'm looking at you Sir Paul and Joe Jackson although I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting at present).
Press of the time:
- Washington Post: "little more than a garland of homages to some important masters -- not quite mimicry, but pretty close."
- Billboard: "ambitious, impressionistic"
- Rolling Stone (★★★): "for the most part, Joel doesn't let his delusions get the best of him."
Album chart peaks:
- US Billboard 200: #83
- Billboard Classical: #1
Tracks: It's all derivative of Debussy, Chopin, Faure, and other European composers from the late 19th/early 20th century. He's got the harmony down, but it lacks in melody and form.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I bought this CD when released, quickly traded it in, then inherited today's CD from my father upon his passing. Or did I give him my copy instead of trading it in and now it's returned to me in some sort of karmic retribution? Anyway...
Previously revisited for the blog:

No comments:
Post a Comment