Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, April 22, 2016

Billy Joel - Piano Man (1973)



Note: the CD I listened to was not the 2011 "Legacy edition" reissue.

Trying something different today: even though I consider myself to be a big Billy Joel fan from 1977 on, I've never heard this particular album complete. So when I recently saw this CD in the clearance bin for $3, I couldn't pass up the opportunity, despite the frightening cover art. Admittedly, I'm familiar with a few tunes from their inclusion on Songs in the Attic, and the title track is an Irish bar singalong waltz classic, but I'm counting 6 of the 10 tracks that might be new to me. On first blush:
  • Travelin' Prayer ✘
  • Ain't No Crime
  • Worse Comes to Worst (music isn't bad, but the lyrics may be Joel's worst, pun intended)
  • Stop in Nevada ✔
  • If I Only Had the Words (To Tell You) ✔
  • Somewhere Along the Line ✘
Initial take: the sound of a songwriter still finding his style. He picked the correct songs for inclusion on Songs In The Attic. No liner notes included, so how am I to know that Larry Carlton played on this?

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #27

Tracks: see above

For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, obviously

Previously revisited for the blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment