Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Marc Jordan - Blue Desert (1979)


Note: the CD I listened to was the 2014 Culture Factory reissue.

A classic of the West Coast genre, impeccably produced by Jay Graydon.  Lots of electric piano and melodic hooks. Although all the tunes were written by Jordan, the Graydon production immediately brings to mind Al Jarreau albums like Breakin' Away or Jarreau. In addition to the musicians listed in the review below, the backing musicians also include saxophonist Ernie Watts as well as members of Toto, such as Steve Lukather, Jeff Pocaro, and Bobby Kimball.  All that and the whole is still greater than the sum of its parts.

Billboard, September 9, 1979

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  Don't skip any of these. You really shouldn't shuffle either, as this album is perfect "as is." My favorites today are Generalities, Beautiful People, Lost In The Hurrah, Release Yourself, and the gospel-ish waltz closer, Exile, which reminds me more than a little of Joe Cocker's version of I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  Once I discovered that Jay Graydon produced this album, I purchased the files from iTunes almost immediately. I was completely unaware that it was released a few years later on CD. Bought it as soon as I saw it, though. This reissure comes as a "vinyl replica" complete with cardboard sleeve and obi strip:


In my mind, I always associate this album with Steve Kipner's Knock the Walls Down, Pages, and Bill Champlin's Runaway. In fact, I'll go give those a listen now as I fall completely down a West Coast rabbit hole. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I second the selection of album closer "Exile" as it evokes both the Cocker classic Beatles cover and a recent favorite, Lake Street Dive's "Close To Me" from their highly recommended latest album Side Pony.

    ReplyDelete