Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, August 6, 2026

Tom Scott - Them Changes (1990)


Some oldtimers might remember that Pat Sajak had his own late-night talk show on CBS from January 1989 to April 1990. Sajak's house band was led by Tom Scott and that's the band we've got playing on this CD, including guitarist Eric Gale and a young Dave Koz (then billed as David Koz). I can't say I ever watched the show as I preferred NBC's one-two punch of Carson/Letterman. In any case, this isn't a bad album although it consists primarily of cover versions, including two Scott originals he had previously recorded on earlier albums. I'm guessing these were tunes the band played regularly on the show?



Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: did not chart
  • Billboard Contemporary Jazz: #21
  • CashBox Contemporary Jazz: #13

Tracks:
  1. Zoot Suit - upbeat original written by David Koz and Jeff Lorber
  2. Pick Up The Pieces - originally released by the Average White Band on the album AWB (1974)
  3. Chester & Bruce - originally released by guitarist Pat Kelley on his album I'll Stand Up (1989)
  4. Desire - originally released by Scott on his album of the same name (1982)
  5. Them Changes - originally released by drummer Buddy Miles on his album Them Changes (1970)
  6. Too Hot - originally released by Kool & The Gang on the album Ladies' Night (1979)
  7. Serpentine Fire - originally released by Earth, Wind & Fire on the album All 'N All (1977)
  8. Dahomey Dance - originally released by saxophonist John Coltrane on the album Olé Coltrane (1961)
  9. We Belong Together - originally released by Scott on the album Apple Juice (1981)

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Smokin' Section (1999)Desire (1982)
Night Creatures (1995)Apple Juice (1981)
Reed My Lips (1994)Blow It Out (1977)
Keep This Love Alive (1991)Intimate Strangers (1978)
One Night/One Day (1986)Street Beat (1979)
Target (1983)

No comments:

Post a Comment