Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Tom Scott & The LA Express - Smokin' Section (1999)


Not the best Scott album, but there are a few memorable tracks among the drum machines.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart
Peak on the US Billboard Top Contemporary Jazz Albums chart: #8

Tracks:
Best: TCB In E, the ten minute album closer recorded live at the Blue Note, Tokyo
Good: If I Could Cry, Just Takin' A Walk, The Beat Is On, I'll Still Be Lovin' You (yes, a cover of the Restless Heart song - reborn as a AC slow jam with vocals from Phil Perry)
Middlin': Smokin' Section, Lonely One, A Short Visit, Lost Again
Skip: Cruisin' Bayou

There's one track I couldn't categorize: track 5, Ode To Billie Joe with vocals by Patty Smyth. As you can imagine, it doesn't really fit on a smooth jazz CD, but Smyth's voice is perfect and the lyrics are still eerie as hell and I can't say I enjoy it but I want to listen to it over and over anyway.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Night Creatures (1995)
Reed My Lips (1994)
Target (1983)
Apple Juice (1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment