Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, October 9, 2015

Tom Scott - Target (1983)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP (twice), later replaced by a CD.

A few weeks back, I posted about Prince's Around the World in a Day album and because the packaging was part of the attraction of that CD, I included photos of the contents, including the following:


An astute reader quickly pointed out to me that my CD was a "target CD." Since I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I assumed this meant that my CD was originally purchased at a Target store - I bought my copy from eBay, so I have no idea as to the original point of purchase. It turns out that "target" refers to the design on the face of the disc (which resembles more of a gun sight than a target, but I digress). I won't go into the whole deal, but these target CDs are sought after for their alleged superior sound reproduction. If you're interested, there's more about target CDs here and here.

Curious, I looked at every CD I own and found only one other target CD on my shelves, Howard Jones' Dream Into Action. After perusing several lists of target CDs, I decided to purchase another to do an A-B type test against vinyl. And what better target CD to get than one titled Target? [rimshot] And that's how we got here today. Now on to the music.


It's not Scott's best album and since I was (am) such a huge fan of Apple Juice, nothing could possibly have lived up to my expectations. Some good tracks, but overall it's hit-or-miss. Downbeat magazine gave the album ★★★ and stated "There are some very tasty moments on this disc" while Thom Jurek over at allmusic.com writes "It's the sound of a restless musician who gets the pop game, or at least has gotten it and is not sure of where to shift his focus next." Sounds about right. Still, I like the album's good tracks enough to buy them 3 times.

As for the target CD sound, all I can testify to is the fact that this CD sounds better than my vinyl or any streaming music delivery system. And thus ends my target CD experiment, thanks for playing along.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: Did not chart
  • Billboard Jazz: #9
  • CashBox Jazz: #5
  • Radio & Records Jazz Radio National Airplay: #2

Tracks:  The top tracks are title number, a stellar cover of Ambrosia's The Biggest Part of Me, and Come Back to Me, an attempt at a soft R&B ballad with vocals from Kenny James. Less enjoyable are Aerobia and Lollopoppin'. Maria Maldaur makes an appearance on the cheesy, drum machine feature He's Too Young while Lee Ving lends his talents to the tune Got To Get Out Of New York. Neither of those two have aged particularly well, but are good enough for an occasional listen. I do enjoy the lyrics to Got To Get Out Of New York as they reference many jazz musicians' penchant for playing only standards without creating new music. Imagine me - listening to lyrics!

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  While this album was released in 1983, I didn't purchase my first copy until 1984. I have specific memories of spinning this album in my college dorm room.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Night Creatures (1995)
Reed My Lips (1994)
Apple Juice (1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment