Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, September 28, 2026

Squeeze - Trixies (2026)


Note: the CD I listened to was the "enhanced 2CD + Blu-ray edition" which includes the album, a second CD of demos & live cuts, and a Blu-ray of 24-bit HD audio masters & the album mixed by Bob Clearmountain in Dolby Atmos. All packaged in an quadfold digisleeve.

Edited from the band's website:
Although ‘brand new’ may not be entirely appropriate; written by the teenage Chris Difford (19) and Glenn Tilbrook (16) at the very start of their songwriting partnership, when concept albums and rock operas were de rigueur, the songs are a collection of stories set in a fictional night club, Trixies.

“We fully committed ourselves to songwriting but this was three or four years before we even got to make our first record. Long story short, these were songs that we just didn’t have enough musical experience to record properly” explains Chris.

Under the guiding production hand of Squeeze’s bassist Owen Biddle, this collection of songs finally gets to enjoy its moment in the spotlight. “The songs that we wrote then astound me. I’m proud of them now, and I’m particularly proud that it was young us that did that. These are very much the same songs that we wrote then,” says Glenn, “The only difference is that now I can teach the songs to the rest of the band. Back then, I didn’t even know what the names of the chords were!”
Well, considering the age and inexperience of the boys when these tunes were written, they're not terrible. But coming back to them decades later? Maybe not the best idea. I've got an old play script I wrote when I was 17 years old but I sure wouldn't stage a production of it today.

Anyway, I knew that some Squeeze tunes require multiple listenings before appreciation, but that didn't do the trick for me with these tracks. Then I heard the songs live (see below) and that didn't help, either. So this probably won't get many spins in the future, if any. And a three disc set was indeed overkill. Metacritic has the album rated as 83/100 so I'm obviously missing something. And I'm OK with that.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: 13 tracks, almost all midtempo or slower. The best track on the album is You Get The Feeling, followed at a distance by Hell On Earth. I usually skip the attempt at Bowie glam rock, The Place We Call Mars and The Dancer, which is terribly repetitive.

CD 2: 11 demos from 1974 plus 2 live tracks from 2024. Nothing worth hearing more than once, if that.

Blu-ray: the 13-track album in Dolby Atmos. Good news: I think Atmos mixes sound terrific. Bad news: what that means for my bank account.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My lovely wife and I caught the band September 22, 2026 on their "Tried, Tested and Trixies" tour, which I've dubbed their "Maximum Hubris" tour because of the questionable decision to play Trixies in its entirety:
  • Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)
  • Up the Junction
  • Another Nail in My Heart
  • Is That Love
  • *The entire Trixies album*
  • Hourglass
  • Black Coffee in Bed
  • Third Rail
  • Goodbye Girl
  • Slap & Tickle
  • Cool for Cats
  • Tempted
  • Take Me I'm Yours
Glenn Tilbrook was in fine voice and the band was tight. However, playing the whole album sucked the life out of the crowd for 40 minutes. Songs ended without applause. Band members looked miserable trying to fake enthusiasm while rushing through the set. Concertgoers headed to the bar/restrooms/exits. Fortunately, the band ended strong, what was left of the crowd came alive, and I'm glad we stayed with it (although the whole reason I bought the tickets was to see the opening act, Haircut 100, and they were great).

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Knowledge (2017)Babylon and On (1987)
Cradle To The Grave (2015)Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti (1985)
The Complete BBC Sessions (2008)Difford & Tilbrook (1984)
Domino (1998)Singles: 45's and Under (1982)
Ridiculous (1995)Sweets From A Stranger (1982) and 2008 reissue
Some Fantastic Place (1993)East Side Story (1981)
Play (1991)Argybargy (1980) - 1987 reissue and 2008 Deluxe Edition
A Round And A Bout (1990)Cool For Cats (1979)
Frank (1989)U.K. Squeeze (1978)

No comments:

Post a Comment