Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Los Angeles Philharmonic - Bach: Transcriptions (2000)


Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic, recorded at Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles on October 6-7, 1999.

I inherited this CD from my father and when I came across it, I contacted my college buddy who played percussion in the LA Phil for 30 years. He confirmed he is on this recording, so that's kinda cool. It's not a CD I would have picked out for myself, but I find myself liking some of the tracks. Salonen selected transcriptions by musicians who are famous for their own compositions and/or conducting, giving the CD programming a nice twist.


  • Toccata & Fugue in d minor, BMV 565, arr. by Leopold Stokowski
  • Fantasy & Fugue in c minor, BWV 537, arr. by Sir Edward Elgar
  • Ricercare No. 2 from The Musical Offering, BWV 1079, arr. by Anton Webern
  • Prelude & Fugue in E-Flat Major "St. Anne," BWV 552, arr. by Arnold Schoenberg
  • Fugue in g minor "Little," BWV 578, arr. by Stokowski
  • Suite for Organ, Harpsichord & Orchestra (from Orchestra Suites Nos. 2 & 3), arr. by Gustav Mahler

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Great Organ Works (1996)
Empire Brass - A Bach Festival for Brass & Organ (1986)
Brian Slawson - Bach on Wood (1985)
Glenn Gould - The Goldberg Variations (1955)


No comments:

Post a Comment