Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Glenn Gould - Bach: The Goldberg Variations (1955)


Note: the CD I own is the 1992 remaster with 2 bonus tracks from Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier II. The 1992 CD cover is on the left, with the original 1955 LP cover on the right.

A few months ago, I read a decent biography of Gould titled Wondrous Strange by Kevin Bazzana. Gould was an interesting man, but even after reading that tome, I still don't understand. Gould's technique is outstanding and is on display here, but the unique interpretations that made him a star just aren't for me. I'll admit that it could be jealousy: how can Gould get away with doing whatever he wants and he's considered a genius when I couldn't do anything like that when I was a music student? In those days, when I tried to offer a unique interpretation or tried to be creative in any way, I was immediately shot down and, at times, laughed at. Yes, sadly, more than one music professor laughed out loud at me when I was in college. (Sounds like great teaching, huh?) So I'll readily concede that my personal issues probably play a part in not giving Gould his full due. This is one of those times when I'll shrug and say I just don't get it.

High Fidelity, February 1956, p. 75

Anyway, if you have any interest in Gould and his eccentricities, then you should check out the above biography and/or the 1993 film, Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould. However, this will most likely be Gould's only appearance on this blog.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None with the CD, but now that I've remembered what I went through in college has me upset (again) at the poor music education I received there.

No comments:

Post a Comment