Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, January 21, 2019

Squeeze - The Knowledge (2017)


I had high hopes after the release of 2015's Cradle To The Grave, but this follow-up doesn't meet expectations. Most Squeeze albums requiring multiple listenings to reveal all their goodness, but that trick didn't seem to work here (at least to my ears). The album just plods along with midtempo songs too long for their own good - as the songwriting duo of Difford and Tilbrook have aged, their songs have gotten about a minute longer than their early output. Metacritic has it rated at a very positive 81 so I'll admit there's the possibility I'm missing something, but on the continuum of Squeeze albums, I'll place this one is closer to Domino and Ridiculous than Play or Argybargy. That's more in line with the "User Score" below.

Metacritic also has the producer of the album as John Cale, so they may be having problems over there.
(Cale disastrously produced the group's debut album over 40 years ago;
Laurie Latham and Glenn Tilbrook produced The Knowledge)

And yes, I'll buy their next release as soon as its released; I'll always be a fan.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: While the album is ultimately disappointing, there are a few great tunes sprinkled about: Patchouli, Departure Lounge, Please Be Upstanding, and Two Forks. Rough Ride might have been good if the arrangement hadn't included a children's chorus and opera singer.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, but I took a road trip this past weekend on I-37 and my Cool for Cats CD provided part of the soundtrack.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Cradle To The Grave (2015)
The Complete BBC Sessions (2008)
Domino (1998)
Ridiculous (1995)
Some Fantastic Place (1993)
Play (1991)
Frank (1989)
Babylon and On (1987)
Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti (1985)
Difford & Tilbrook (1984)
Singles: 45's and Under (1982)
Sweets From A Stranger (1982) and 2008 reissue
East Side Story (1981)
Argybargy (1980) - 1987 reissue and 2008 Deluxe Edition
Cool For Cats (1979)
U.K. Squeeze (1978)

No comments:

Post a Comment